[tcb] Re: Thoughts on lowering vanagon?

  • From: jki7886155@xxxxxxx
  • To: tcb@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 19 Nov 2008 16:12:03 -0500

 Duncan:

I'm guessing lowering the Vanagon will not improve the ride but, it might
improve the cornering if you don't mess up the steering geometry.

The rear springs are rather easy to remove and you can compare them with some
new springs, after you remove them, to see if they have settled and changed
overall length.

I always admired Mark's bus because it sat level and mine squatted in the rear
end. It reminded me of a '40 Ford Coupe I had in high school that I lowered, in
the rear end by installing 6" longer spring shackles. That was the "look" in
those days. You had to also install an anti-sway bar at the same time. It did
improve the cornering ability.

What I did (about a year ago) is have a local company flame cut some donuts out
of 3/4" steel plate which I installed between the top of the rear coil springs
and the spring mount. Now it sits approximately level and I don't notice any
difference in either ride or handling.

Best regards,

Jack Kirsch

I'm thinking of replacing the spring coils on Freedom. It leans to the left and
to the rear. Sure, it's because of all the weight but I bet replacing the
springs will significantly help. After all, they're 20 years old and likely
fatigued.

Van-Cafe (reasonably priced) and Bus Boys (very expensive) both have lowering
kits.

I'm thinking of going with the Weitec springs from van-cafe:
http://www.van-cafe.com/home/van/smartlist_1002/lowering_springs.html

Van Cafe has a good article on the difference between H&R and Weitec:
http://www.van-cafe.com/home/van/page_11_9/vanagon_lowering.html

Why would Bus Boys be so much more expensive? They don't give a price but
suggest it is a bit lower than $1,200. They almost sound like the same weitec
springs offered by van cafe:
http://www.bus-boys.com/bbsusp.htm#springs

 Would lowering the center of gravity improve the ride? Does anyone have
experience with any of these kits? Any other thoughts or suggestions?

Oddly, Freedom seems to sit higher than Jack's, Ronnie's and Mark's
vanagons, which I think are stock height. I don't think Freedom's coils
were replaced with syncro springs but who knows. If so, it would sit
much more level, right? Unless they were used already.

Although the bielstin shocks are relatively new and still good on Freedom, I'll
probably replace with Koni shocks. If it's this far apart, might as well.

Access your email online and on the go with Windows Live Hotmail. Sign up
today.=