[tcb] Re: Thinning the Herd - Serious Question

  • From: Mike Hayes <mike@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: tcb@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 06 Aug 2009 19:45:18 -0500

I think you need to keep the VW's and lose the job. Seems every time you post it's from the road. I only travel 3-5 days a month and I hate it.

w.wood wrote:
The Blue 54 will be sold, I'm convinced now along with the zwit... I haven't formulated a complete list in my mind as yet. I have talked myself into the 54 though.

I guess that's half the battle. See, it's not the enjoyment but the priorities in life that get in the way of the VW habit. Yesterday for example I was going to the airport. I was in Chicago for meetings for two days then off to DC last night. So, rather than pay for a $90 cab ride I called up for a car for myself and my co-worker. She had to go to Midway Airport (flying the cheapo airline) and I had to go to O'Hare flying the more expensive carrier with first class and booze.

Anyway, two cars show up, one a town car (black) and mine... http://s22.photobucket.com/albums/b313/EvilBus/palm%20photos/?action=view&current=CIMG0072.jpg <http://s22.photobucket.com/albums/b313/EvilBus/palm%20photos/?action=view&current=CIMG0072.jpg>

It's definitely not slammed but it has more room in the back than a 23 window bus with the middle seat removed. It also had its own zip code but I digress.. My point is that when you work all week flying back and forth, night after night in hotels it's just not interesting to jump into a 52 bug and cruise around Dallas without AC and having to use semaphore turn signals...

I also worry too that since the hobby is drying up that parts/suppliers and service places will likewise become even more scarce. I envision a day when Black Gold is nothing but sewing and barbies... Or Qualitat closes up.. Where will I go for my parts and service needs? CIP1? Canadians? I think not!

On Thu, Aug 6, 2009 at 5:52 PM, Eric Woodall <eric@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx <mailto:eric@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>> wrote:

    Well at least you'd get paid big bucks for the Barndoors.
    I'd sell those (to me).
    Anybody got some big bucks I can borrow?

    wood wrote:
    hahaha  funny

    Do my VWs give me joy?  It depends.. If I'm driving them yes they
    do.  Fixing them can become bothersome but it comes with the
    territory.  Unfortunately it's not a life crisis more than a
change. No, it's not male menopause either Sammie.
    It's just coming down to the fundamental fact that you ask
    yourself the question: "How many is too many and will you ever
    get to restoring that one?"

    That's ostensibly where I'm at.  There's a few that will be sold,
    I'm convinced of that more than ever.  It's now just the hassle
    and lamentable details that go along with it.

    In fact I'm having a lot of fun, it's just focused on other
    things right now vs. the ACVW world and on the weekend I'd rather
    be with the family rather than wrenching on the bus or the ghia
    or the zwitter or the dc...

    You get my point?

    On Thu, Aug 6, 2009 at 3:47 PM, Julie
    <julie.hey.ho.lets.go@xxxxxxxxx
    <mailto:julie.hey.ho.lets.go@xxxxxxxxx>> wrote:

        Will is going through some sort of life crisis and then
        before you know it I'm making cobbler for all of you.

        I'm getting nagged by Wolfie that she wants to attend T@P
        again this year.  I'm fretting about how to make a better
        chili so that I at least place this year.  I just made a
        practice batch this week.  And you all want cobbler.

        Will, do your VWs give you joy?  Do you find yourself getting
        a thrill just looking at them? I do with mine, even if they
        don't run.  And mine all have a strong distinctive smell.
         Sometimes when I walk by them I suck up huge lung fulls of
        air, just to remember how marvelous they are.  I guess if you
        don't feel the magic for certain ones then you should allow
        others to feel the sensation. But for those that give you
        pleasure, never let them go.

        Alright now I'll get busy finding new cobbler recipes.

        Julie

        On Aug 5, 2009, at 10:01 PM, Neil <nbmdude@xxxxxxxxx
        <mailto:nbmdude@xxxxxxxxx>> wrote:

            Ummmm, cobbler.  That trumps politics ANY day!  Buses and
            desserts!

            --- On Wed, 8/5/09, Conrad Klahn <conradk@xxxxxxx

                From: Conrad Klahn <conradk@xxxxxxx
                <mailto:conradk@xxxxxxx>>

                Subject: [tcb] Re: Thinning the Herd - Serious Question
                To: tcb@xxxxxxxxxxxxx <mailto:tcb@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
                Date: Wednesday, August 5, 2009, 9:24 PM
                Dang capitalists! Figures about the
                time we get around to socializing America the free market
                powers take over! :-) Just joking - let's please not
                continue this. We can pick this subject back up at
                T@P over
                some of Julie's dutch-oven cobbler... :-)
                On Aug 5, 2009, at 4:02 PM, sammie smith

                wrote:
                Nope, gone already.
                Obamas plan for socializing America has run out of money
                already.

-- My Email Moniker http://www.findinternettv.com/Video,item,1570570433.aspx

--
My Email Moniker http://www.findinternettv.com/Video,item,1570570433.aspx