[tcb] The engine is IN!

  • From: "Denis" <coocoo@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <tcb@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 4 Feb 2007 14:25:18 -0600

So, I rebuilt this motor about 8 years ago. The tranny was built for the
engine. Remember that, it will come up later.

Nothing I did would get the freaking engine in the final inch. I called The
local VW guy and he came out and tried and tried. Then he said, 'We should try
a new clutch disk". I just happened to have one still in the box that I had
been too lazy to return to the parts house because there was nothing wrong with
my clutch, right? "How about a new pressure plate?" Right here, brand new. Same
thing.

So, we take off the clutch disk and it is being held together by one rivet.
ONE. Then we find that, damaged or not, it will not fit over the shaft of the
new tranny. the hole in the cluchplate is too small for the mainshaft on the
tranny. The new clutchplate fits over, no problem. We put it all together and
the engine popped right in.

So, all you experts out there, what the hell is this all about? Why would two
different trannys have different mainshaft sizes and what clutch would have a
smaller hole for it? And why did this take me three #@%^&*! days to find it?

Now, I can go back to work to find the next damn thing to keep me and Murray
off the road. If I can't get everything ready by Wednesday, I will read all
about the Galveston adventure from here.