[tcb] Re: The Best LED Dash Lights, Finally

  • From: kelly dosch <kellydosch@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: tcb@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 9 Apr 2011 21:17:24 -0700 (PDT)

  I'm sorry. I am thin skinned. My old lady has been debating with me over the
mundane for almost twenty years and it still makes me crazy.  So it just hit a
nerve. Moving on.
  I actually didn't try to dim them since the dimmer never worked with any of
the other failing LEDs. But it really isn't too bright. It just the amount of
light I have come to expect from any other car.
   Well Hell. I'll just go see. Please hold,... (play elevator music in your
head for a couple minutes.)    Your call is very important to us. A
representative will be with y-BOOP.
  I'm back. Yeah they don't dim.
  Some LEDs will operate for 10,000 hours or more, and some way less. It
depends on how they are configured. A poorly made LED (if I understand this
correctly) can have a low lumen diode, yet be configured to run at a higher
energy level to create more lumens.
  The effect is just like early 4 cylinder cars. They ran hot and burned up
fast.
  But an LED will rarely fail entirely. It will experience what they call
"droop". That is to say the lumens will drop. Whether it droops fast or slow
depends on the construction of the LED.
  If you really know your sh*t, you can determine this by reading the specs
before you purchase one. As I already feel as though I have practically made a
career of this, I simply don't care to know any more about it. As, I am sure,
neither do you.
  So I just rolled the dice and spent the six bucks. Time will tell.
  And I'm not sure what a "phaft cick " is, but I feel safe to say mine will
never be a pile of rust. ;)

Date: Saturday,
          April 9, 2011, 3:36 PM

          It sure as hell isn't because they can
          increase mileage 2-3 mpg.I'm sure on a VW bus there are lots of other
          things that would make a bigger mileage improvement.Driving a toaster
          isn't contusive to good mileage.
          oleblue

Date: Saturday, April 9,
                              2011, 11:38 AM

                                 All of
                              the bulbs in my Scirocco have been replaced by
                              LEDs except the head lamps.I can't believe that
                              they will make any difference in the fuel
                              mileage.That sounds like sales talk to
                              me.Increasing your tire pressure by two or three
                              psi will probably make more change in your
                              mileage.I have red LEDs for dash lights and I
                              don't really like them that much.Of course I
                              haven't changed to white so they must not be to
                              bad.
                              oleblue

                                ----- Original
                                Message -----