[tcb] Re: Technical Question Alert!

  • From: sammie smith <bugcollections@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "tcb@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <tcb@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 15 Dec 2014 19:32:35 -0800

The fan shroud is (normally) rather securely bolted down and will (normally)
hold the alternator/generator in place all by itself.  However, the strap
"really" holds it down securely.  It is possible without the strap in place at
all (Ronnie's situation) and with a fan that is turning really close to the
shroud it is possible that it could move enough to make contact and would make
a noise maybe like Ronnie was hearing.  When he depressed the clutch or coasted
in neutral the engine is only idling and as a result with no load on the
fan/alternator the noise stopped.  It's possible, VWs are unusual animals
sometimes, confounding the best of VW gurus.

On Monday, December 15, 2014 8:53 PM, Shirley Clark <txvwbuslady@xxxxxxxxx>
wrote:

okay, if hold down strap breaks, only thing holding alternator in place is
doghouse, right?  the other end of the alternator is the belt pulling downward
kinda toward the crank, right?  wow, did the doghouse keep the alternator from
coming off the stand?  hope the new strap fixes everything.

On Mon, Dec 15, 2014 at 3:42 PM, Ronnie <dmarc-noreply@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
I bought one at kermits today and will try it one night this week.

>Sent from my iPhone
>
>On Dec 15, 2014, at 5:30 PM, sammie smith <bugcollections@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>

>Did you try it again after replacing the alternator hold down strap.  It is
>possible it was moving around enough to allow the fan to touch the shroud.
>>

>>On Monday, December 15, 2014 10:20 AM, "dmarc-noreply@xxxxxxxxxxxxx"
>><dmarc-noreply@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>

>>Gland nut.

 think?