[tcb] Re: *THE* batteries

  • From: Eric Woodall <eric@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: tcb@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 21 Jul 2008 01:34:12 -0500

Thanks Gerald, if I can find that damn leprechaun I'm down.

Quoting "Gerald V. Livingston II" <gerald.tcb@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>:

Roughly 15.5" long by 4" wide by 10.5" tall.

Safe to have anywhere. They are AGM (absorbed glass mat) batteries.
Mount 'me on their side if you want.

Uhhh, they WEIGH 60 lbs each but at 4" wide multiples can be
distributed to various locations. I wouldn't suggest putting more than
2 on the driver side. I have 4 stacked on the passenger side of the
Rivi (and before anybody asks, the bearing-going-out problem started
BEFORE I added the 240 lbs to that side). I was actually thinking of
adding a false floor to the Rivi and laying them on their sides under
that.

Gerald

Eric Woodall wrote:
Yo Gerald,
Can you give a LxHxD for these batteries?
Will they fit in the stock location of a bus?
Or more specifically would they be safe to have in the engine compartment with dampness?

Quoting "Gerald V. Livingston II" <gerald.tcb@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>:

I *may* be able to source more of the orange camping deep cycle
batteries at $150 each. Not absolutely certain yet but I need to know
how many people would *definitely* buy one at that price before I empty
my pockets getting them if they are actually available. I don't want to
buy extras and have them sitting around eating up my bank account.

G2

P.S.

If you have a "regular" battery backup/UPS hooked up to your
computer/TV/whatever these work great for that. Those UPS units that
you buy at any computer/electronics store that are around 350 - 650
watts will usually run your computer for about 15 - 20 minutes to allow
you time to shut it down if the power goes out.

They usually have a 7 to 12 amp/hour battery in them. I pulled the
battery out of the one in my office and attached one of the orange
batteries. I gave it a few days to charge and "settle" using the UPS
charger. Then I pulled the plug. I watched a full 2 hour movie then I
plugged it back in. My employee, Chris, has one hooked to his TV/Sat
receiver/stereo at home. Same model UPS, 650VA (which is about 400
watts). They had a power outage and it lasted over 3 hours.

I plan to buy a couple more specifically for that purpose.