[tcb] Re: *THE* batteries

  • From: Eric Woodall <eric@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: tcb@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 21 Jul 2008 00:42:57 -0500

Yo Gerald,
Can you give a LxHxD for these batteries?
Will they fit in the stock location of a bus?
Or more specifically would they be safe to have in the engine compartment with dampness?

Quoting "Gerald V. Livingston II" <gerald.tcb@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>:

I *may* be able to source more of the orange camping deep cycle
batteries at $150 each. Not absolutely certain yet but I need to know
how many people would *definitely* buy one at that price before I empty
my pockets getting them if they are actually available. I don't want to
buy extras and have them sitting around eating up my bank account.

G2

P.S.

If you have a "regular" battery backup/UPS hooked up to your
computer/TV/whatever these work great for that. Those UPS units that
you buy at any computer/electronics store that are around 350 - 650
watts will usually run your computer for about 15 - 20 minutes to allow
you time to shut it down if the power goes out.

They usually have a 7 to 12 amp/hour battery in them. I pulled the
battery out of the one in my office and attached one of the orange
batteries. I gave it a few days to charge and "settle" using the UPS
charger. Then I pulled the plug. I watched a full 2 hour movie then I
plugged it back in. My employee, Chris, has one hooked to his TV/Sat
receiver/stereo at home. Same model UPS, 650VA (which is about 400
watts). They had a power outage and it lasted over 3 hours.

I plan to buy a couple more specifically for that purpose.