[tcb] Re: Stud Gun

  • From: sammie smith <bugcollections@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: tcb@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 23 May 2007 08:47:11 -0700 (PDT)

The next time I'm pulling a dent that I can't get to the back side of I'm going
to try my method with a 1/8" bolt.  The nut and hardwood block work great for
control of the amount of pull you are putting on the dent.  The reason I used
the method that I did on the panel van was that I also had to fill all those
damn 1/4" holes that some idiot had drilled.

Brian Denning <i_am_cool_fred@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:  you know you can always tack
10 penny nails to the problem area and use a
hammer to pull. it's just like using a stud gun only cheaper, not as quick
but cheaper

>From: sammie smith
>To: tcb@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
>Subject: [tcb] Re: Stud Gun
>Date: Wed, 23 May 2007 08:24:52 -0700 (PDT)
>
>I made my own. One, the front of the panel only needed work on the right
>side around the headlight and in front of the A pillar. Someone in the
>past had drilled about 50 1/4" holes apparently to hold the bondo which was
>up to 2" or more thick in this area. Went to the hardware store, bought a
>very long 1/4" threaded rod. Made some puller blocks out of hardwood.
>Welded the end of the rod into the entry to the hole, slipped puller block
>over rod, screwed down nut on puller block and pulled with the compression
>of the nut till the dent was pulled, removed puller block, cut off rod,
>grind smooth. Hole filed, dent pulled. Works on same principle as stud
>gun. Just made my own studs and welded. Not as easy and clean as stud gun
>but it works. Haven't tried it on just a regular old dent but don't know
>why it wouldn't work.
>
>Brian Denning wrote: how did you beat out the
>front end of the bus without one? curious minds
>want to know
>

> >From: sammie smith
> >To: tcb@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
> >Subject: [tcb] Re: Stud Gun
> >Date: Wed, 23 May 2007 08:05:44 -0700 (PDT)
> >
> >Dan: Does the stud gun work "stand alone" with the welding or does it
>have
> >to be hooked up to a welder, i.e., does it work with its own power
>source.
> >Never used one and have never seen one used, but all the body shop guys I
> >have talked to swear by them.
> >
> >Jammy wrote: stud guns are way cool you can
> >use them in so many ways to pull dents and shrink high spots as well if
> >you by chance pull a in your base metal that your working on all you need
> >to do is get a high wattage soldering gun and stick the tip in the hole
> >heat up the surrounding metal and fill with soder and then sand it down
>and
> >then apply filler remember filler doesn't need to be more than a 1/4''
> >thick
> >
> >Dan Martin wrote: Yes.
> >It is a 4500 from here:
> >
> >http://www.autobodystore.com/stud.htm
> >

> >On May 23, 2007, at 8:41 AM, sammie smith wrote:
> >
> > > Ok, Ronnie you gotta explain what a stud gun is. Are you talking
> > > about the welder that welds studs for pulling dents?
> > >
> > > Ronnie Hughes wrote:
> > > Cool!
> > >
> > > I borrowed Dan's stud gun for pulling dents out of body panels and
> > > it's way cool. Last night I worked some dents out of the gates on
> > > my single cab that would have been very tough without the stud
> > > gun. Really reduces the amount of bondo required.
> > >
> > > Thanks Dan
> > >
> > > Ronnie
> > >
> > > Don't get soaked. Take a quick peak at the forecast
> > > with theYahoo! Search weather shortcut.
> > >

> >Dan Martin
> >1971 VW Bus
> [...]

Catch suspicious messages before you open them?with Windows Live Hotmail.
http://imagine-windowslive.com/hotmail/?locale=en-us&ocid=TXT_TAGHM_migration_HM_mini_protection_0507