[tcb] Still in Hawaii.

  • From: Denis Dodson <coocoo@xxxxxxx>
  • To: tcb <tcb@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 1 Mar 2013 13:23:14 -1000

So, I found out last night, as I was in a Mexican Restaurant bar watching
my Ducks beat the hated Beavers, the rain I have been talking about, being
constant off and on since I got here, was a 30 year record for a 3 day
period. It has tapered off considerably and, aside from raining at night,
which I am told, is natural and will always be, we have had two days off
amazingly blue skies and, when the clouds part, more stars and the Milky
Way as I have never seen.

We drove north to a Valley where some parts of Jurrasic Park were filmed,
about an hour out of Hilo and I noticed something that was confirmed, That
as you drive you will be going up and down the side of a cone and that you
will suddenly find yourself at 1000 feet above sea level and it will be a
good deal cooler. The locals know that the coast is warmer and dryer. Just
a very short inland it will be a good deal cooler and more rain and you'll
wish you had long pants. Hilo has a waterfront and then the whole town goes
up the mountain, so the weather will be dry and warm at the sea and cold
and rainy as you cross town.

Of course, you can continue up Mauna Kea until you are standing in snow. We
saw the peak with snow yesterday and I learned in the bar that it is rare
enough that it's one of the main topics of conversation. I seem to be
spending a lot of time in bars.