[tcb] Re: Steering Box Rebuild

  • From: "Duncan" <whocanduncan1@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "TCB" <tcb@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 23 Nov 2011 16:23:25 +0000

What is "hylomar?"

-----Original Message-----
From: sammie smith <bugcollections@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sender: tcb-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Wed, 23 Nov 2011 08:14:47
To: <tcb@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [tcb] Re: Steering Box Rebuild

James:  I need to correct something I said earlier.  The early steering box,
which I assume you have, has only two bolts holding that plate on the bottom of
the box where the horn wire goes through.  I haven't had one off on the early
box but it should work just like the later with the 4 bolt plate.  Take it off,
hylomar it and put it back on.  I think that will cure your leak.

From: w.wood <evil.scientist.boo@xxxxxxxxx>

To: tcb@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Tuesday, November 22, 2011, 7:23 PM

Well, it sounds like there's multiple things possibly that need to be done.  If
it were me I'dd pull it and replace it with a rebuilt unit or have yours
rebuilt.  The problem is that after 50+ years it's probably time anyway.

On Tue, Nov 22, 2011 at 7:13 PM, James Dwan <james_dwan_2000@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

I looked at the images in the gallery from Hazet guy but that isn't where my
leak is. mine is coming out of the bottom where the horn wire exits the flat
part.

From: James Dwan <james_dwan_2000@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [tcb] Steering Box Rebuild
To: "tcb@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <tcb@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tuesday, November 22, 2011, 9:21 AM

Has anyone had experience rebuilding a steering box on a splitty? Mine is
leaking like a sieve.
I was told by a local mechanic that there is no literature available on the
size of the seals in the box and the best way to do it would be to take it
apart and source the parts after removing them to get measurements.

Believe it or not this is the last thing I need done on this Bus to drive it
long distance!

--
My Email Moniker
http://www.findinternettv.com/Video,item,1570570433.aspx