[tcb] Re: Split bus gas cap?

  • From: "James Dwan" <dmarc-noreply@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> (Redacted sender "james_dwan_2000@xxxxxxxxx" for DMARC)
  • To: "tcb@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <tcb@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 2 Jul 2014 11:13:13 -0700

If I remember correctly, I ended up buying one from my FLAPS. I have a door on
mine so no one can see it anyway.

James

DAC
TCB
'59 23 Window Deluxe
'73/'77 Westfakia
'78 Super Vert

On Wednesday, July 2, 2014 9:49 AM, Eric Woodall <ericthomaswoodall@xxxxxxx>
wrote:

So, do any of you parts hoarders have a vented split bus gas cap I can buy?

On Jul 2, 2014, at 9:16 AM, Mike <mike@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

I had the same thing happen.  Bought an aftermarket cap that would
    not vent and the fuel pump actually sucked in the sides of the
    tank.  It would run for about 20-30 min then die.  I did the same
    thing, drilled a hole with the smallest drill bit I could find and
    the problem went away.  The caps looked the same, but apparently did
    not work the same.

On 7/1/2014 3:16 PM, Mark Jenkins wrote:

I could be I lost my old cap put a aftermarket on had to drill a small hole in
it the top to work correct

On Jul 1, 2014, at 2:13 PM, Eric Woodall <ericthomaswoodall@xxxxxxx> wrote:

I hope this is the reason that I'm hydro-locking.

On Jul 1, 2014, at 2:09 PM, sammie smith <bugcollections@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Those caps are the same (59 & 66) but are you sure it is non-vented James?  The
caps vent around the edge where the jagged style crinkles are just outside of
the gasket.  A truly non-vented cap will not work.  There is no other provision
for venting the Type II gas tank on the splits.

                                Dwan" <dmarc-noreply@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> (Redacted
sender "james_dwan_2000@xxxxxxxxx" for DMARC) wrote:

>Large, pretty sure it's an after market from the looks of it
>>
>>James
>>

>>DAC
>>TCB
>>'59 23 Window Deluxe
>>'73/'77 Westfakia
>>'78 Super Vert
>>

>>On Tuesday, July 1, 2014 8:34 AM, Eric Woodall <ericthomaswoodall@xxxxxxx>
>>wrote:
>>

>>James, does it have the large vw logo or the small one?
>>
>>On Jul 1, 2014, at
                                                  8:14 AM, "James Dwan"
                                                  <dmarc-noreply@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
(Redacted sender "james_dwan_2000@xxxxxxxxx" for DMARC) wrote:

>>I have a non-vented cap with the VW logo on it I bought for my '59. No idea
>>if that would work for a '66 but I'm not using it.
>>>
>>>James
>>>

>>>DAC
>>>TCB
>>>'59 23 Window