[tcb] Re: Split Gas Tanks

  • From: "Denis" <coocoo@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <tcb@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 3 Aug 2004 12:36:48 -0500

Everything that Gerald says is true (Well, at least about the gas tank) I
have never used POR although I have heard that the gas will affect it, maybe
not. The bay gas tank is a good idea if you have to replace yours. I think
it was covered in VW Trends not too long ago.

Why do you need a new one? I had to work on mine because it had so much crud
in it that it clogged my lines and filters.  If your tank isn't leaking
there are lots of alternatives. I stuck a powerwasher in the hole where the
sender goes and made a big mess and then I threw in about five hanfuls of
the coarsest stuff you can find in the yard and garage, nails, screws,
chain, sharp rocks, anything, put a little water in and and shake it all
until your exhausted, empty it and do it again until no more crud comes out.
Put in a new screen in the fuel outlet and you're done. You could also take
it to a radiator shop and  they will take care of it and it might not  cost
too much. I would not buy a new one if I could avoid it.