[tcb] Re: Split Gas Tanks

  • From: Neil McGlothin <nbmdude@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: tcb@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 3 Aug 2004 14:47:05 -0700 (PDT)

Gettin' all the nuts out can be a problem...I've heard
small chain, tied to a wire (wire outside the filler
hole, secured) works good...then yoiu can just pull it
out...
I know I've had problems gettin the nuts out...
Never tried cleanin' a tank, though...

http://web2.airmail.net/perring/casper/tanksuck.jpg[1]
> [...]
> > rust
> > comes out, I would do the screws and nuts shaking
> until the water
> > comes out
> > as clean as possible, and put it back in and buy
> about 100 of those
> > plastic
> > see-through fuel filters and change them often
> until they are staying
> > clear
> > longer. I had to change the little screen at the
> fuel outlet a couple
> > of
> > times. I can't remember clearly, but I think you
> can change that little
> > screen from under the car, you don't have to pull
> the tank, but I'm
> > barely
> > sure of my name most of the time, so I could be
> wrong. Auto Zone and
> > guys
> > like them have bigger industrial looking plastic
> filters you can put in
> > until the gas runs clearer.

> > Sent: Tuesday, August 03, 2004 12:46 PM
> > Subject: [tcb] Re: Split Gas Tanks
> >

> >> Matt (local bus guy) said that he tried the
> coarse stuff test with his
> > tank and broke a baffle on the inside of the
> tank...
> >> So, are they hollow on the inside or is there
> stuff that could break?
> >> Denis wrote:
> >> Everything that Gerald says is true (Well, at
> least about the gas
> >> tank) I
> >> have never used POR although I have heard that
> the gas will affect it,
> > maybe
> >> not. The bay gas tank is a good idea if you have
> to replace yours. I
> >> think
> >> it was covered in VW Trends not too long ago.
> >>
> >> Why do you need a new one? I had to work on mine
> because it had so
> >> much
> > crud
> >> in it that it clogged my lines and filters. If
> your tank isn't leaking
> >> there are lots of alternatives. I stuck a
> powerwasher in the hole
> >> where
> > the
> >> sender goes and made a big mess and then I threw
> in about five
> >> hanfuls of
> >> the coarsest stuff you can find in the yard and
> garage, nails, screws,
> >> chain, sharp rocks, anything, put a little water
> in and and shake it
> >> all
> >> until your exhausted, empty it and do it again
> until no more crud
> >> comes
> > out.
> >> Put in a new screen in the fuel outlet and you're
> done. You could also
> > take
> >> it to a radiator shop and they will take care of
> it and it might not
> >> cost
> >> too much. I would not buy a new one if I could

=== message truncated ===

=====
"The answer is never the answer. What's really interesting is the mystery. If
you seek the mystery instead of the answer, you'll always be seeking. I've
never seen anybody really find the answer-- they think they have, so they stop
thinking. But the job is to seek mystery, evoke mystery, plant a garden in
which strange plants grow and mysteries bloom. The need for mystery is greater
than the need for an answer."

-- Ken Kesey

http://promotions.yahoo.com/new_mail