[tcb] Re: So THAT'S what 4 cylinders feels like!

  • From: whocanduncan1@xxxxxxxxx
  • To: "TCB" <tcb@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 23 Nov 2010 00:52:12 +0000

You need glasses?

From: Gerald Livingston <gerald.tcb@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sender: tcb-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Mon, 22 Nov 2010 17:37:24
To: <tcb@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [tcb] So THAT'S what 4 cylinders feels like!

Shipping the motor to the mechanic was real PITA. About $100 and 8
hours of my time.

The REALLY fun part was Mark calling just about the time I got back
home telling me to turn around and come get my motor. 2 hours and he
was done.

So, let's see who can figure this out.

1. The bus has had this problem since I first cranked it up. It was
made more noticeable by other problems (fouled points, new, unadjusted
carb, etc.) at different times but the primary issue that Mark fixed has
always been there.

I have driven it to Fredericksburg, to Temple, and on several shorter
trips with this problem.

Start the bus and it would only idle using cylinders 1 and 2.
Backfiring
Sputtering
Hard to get going
Dies when stopping after a hard run but fires right back up

Get the RPM's up and all 4 start to fire. there's no way I'd be driving
55+ MPH on 2 cylinders with the ability t accelerate up hills.

The distributor is good
The points are new and adjusted properly.
The rotor and cap are new
There are no vacuum leaks
The plugs are new
It has a new carb that was test run before I bought it
The coil is new and tested good
The condenser is new

All of my wire paths have been shortened so I have FULL
battery/generator voltage at the coil through less than 2 feet of wire.

Compression is very good on all 4
No leak down on any cylinder.

Now, with that list of new and tested parts, I had the 2 cylinders
problem.

Mark fixed it in under 2 hours after a VISUAL inspection.

What was the problem?

Gerald

(I'm driving it daily now)