[tcb] Re: So, Chuck is here

  • From: sammie smith <bugcollections@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: tcb@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 21 Feb 2008 09:21:03 -0800 (PST)

That's why I don't run sway bars on my lowered cars.  Speed bumps, trailers etc.

Will Wood <evilscientistboo@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:    body{font-family:
Geneva,Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif;font-size:9pt;background-color:
#ffffff;color: black;}    BODY {   FONT-SIZE: 9pt; COLOR: black; FONT-FAMILY:
Geneva,Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif; BACKGROUND-COLOR: #ffffff  }      .hmmessage
P {   PADDING-RIGHT: 0px; PADDING-LEFT: 0px; PADDING-BOTTOM: 0px; MARGIN: 0px;
PADDING-TOP: 0px  }  BODY.hmmessage {   FONT-SIZE: 10pt; FONT-FAMILY: Tahoma  }
         Interesting, I'd suggest a few pics but maybe you can build a pivot
bracket around the axle tube and mount it that way?  The pivot
would allow the bar to angle up to the frame.

If you have brackets hanging down, the trailering issue may be a concern
especially getting up over the ramp with the rear wheels.

  From: coocoo@xxxxxxx
To: tcb@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [tcb] So, Chuck is here
Date: Wed, 20 Feb 2008 22:46:17 -0600

  I bought an after market sway bar when I was at the Bulli Brigade. Best swap
meet ever. Anyway, I bought two bars and 4 boxes of parts. Not until today did
I turn out all the boxes and instructions onto a table. The instructions looked
like something from Indiana Jones. The envelopes were manila from, like the
Korean War and the papers were all termite eaten and crumbly. But there was
even a really old decal. The company was Addon. They made swaybars.

  As a fluke I Googled them. They are making sway bars for Lotus, They are
still in business big time. I call the 800 number. They answer. I say I have
some really old stuff here for a "63 VW bus. She says, "Kit 935?" and I look at
the Egyptian looking stuff and find the number. "Yes, could you E-mail me the
instructions?" "Yes, Do you also have the rear kit, 735?" I look "Yes" She
emails both.

  So, my friend, Brad, who built my big new room, and Chuck install the front
bar while I found tools and washers and took abuse.

  We come to the rear bar and we attach everything at the shocks, but then the
bar won't come up high enough to attach at the frame. The bars that run under
and parallel to the tranny, in front of the tranny support wont let the bar
make contact with the frame.

  Why?

  We told this tale to another long time VW guy, and he knew immediately.

  What is the problem?

10:26 AM

11:05 AM