[tcb] Re: Snow and an eagle. Murray progress.

  • From: sammie smith <bugcollections@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: tcb@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 18 Jan 2007 09:50:37 -0800 (PST)

Mud in the bowls?  What fuel station have you been using?  Short story from
long one:  only time Baja let me down on the side of the road was a bad tank of
fuel in Bryan.  Was full of crud.  had just filled up with that premium stuff
that I assume everyone uses in their VW.  But the bad fuel got me to thinking:
with the price of fuel how many people actually do pump premium fuel?  Probably
very few; and how long has that premium fuel been sitting in the underground
tanks at the gas station?  Maybe months, collecting water, mud and no telling
what else that time caises to fuel.

Denis Dodson <coocoo@xxxxxxx> wrote:      With the tranny in Murray and the
axle work and springplates and the backing plates done and the wheels and tires
on him, I have attached the reciever bracket (pipe?) onto the lift and am using
the engine stand stuck onto the lift, so I can raise and lower the engine to
any height I want. Groovy.

  So now I am taking the engine tin all off and put new gaskets under the
alternator stand, the fuel pump and the oil pump and cleaning everything really
well. I took off the intake manifols to the dua Kadrons. I have not done this
for many years and I found a couple of the screws that hold down the fan
shroud, some washers and a penny. A penny. How did a penny get there?

  Last night I rebuilt both carbs and spent some time on the phone with Dan
(Chuck wouldn't answer, his phone when caller ID showed him it was me) trying
to figure out how the fuel pump lever could operate when the action of the
little lever with the spring is pushing when it should be pulling to have any
effect, but, oh well, I put them back together and they look great all clean.

  There was mud in the float bowls.