[tcb] Scandal alert!

  • From: "Denis Dodson" <coocoo@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <tcb@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 18 Dec 2005 20:19:32 -0600

I think that the Target TV spot with a red VW bus is actually TWO BUSSES!!!!
Im the exterior shots there is lots of snow on the roof of the bus and in the
interior shots of the bus we see skylights and a ragtop of a (at least) 21
window, but in the exteriors the snow is not low enough to cover where the
skylights would be and there is NO CHROME! Aren't all 21 and 23 window busses
Deluxes? And there are ony 11 windows showing on the exterior bus. Did 11
window busses ever have skylights?

I can't believe it! Advertising being deceptive!

Honestly, I used to film commercials for a living. To get the shots of the guy
putting the big presents in the interior POV they might have used a crappy bus
and sliced off the rear to facilitate the camera and all the lighting. It would
have meant nothing on a national spot to have a partial interior installed.
They might have shot it all through the cargo hatch, but most client art
directors want all the lighting tricks they can get and it would have been a
tight fit. I know for certain that those scenes were shot on a stage. The
exterior, pulling up in front of the house is a location shot. And the bus
comes to a rolling stop with both his feet out the door. Neat trick. Ever tried
stopping your bus with both of your feet already out the door? Somebody is
inside, laying on the floor, pulling the emergency brake or there is a chock
for the tire on the opposite side. The engine is not running. I can promise you
that nobody in the advertising or film production business will let and actor
actually operate ANY machinery if there is any way to avoid it.

Commercial film production 101.