[tcb] Re: Rust.... preventative

  • From: sammie smith <bugcollections@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: tcb@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 23 Feb 2009 10:48:02 -0800 (PST)

For another idea:  I have been using Transtar primer which seals and primes.
It is an epoxy based primer and is fairly expensive, about $100 per gallon.
Haven't bought it in quarts so don't know how much a quart is.  But, one of the
paint and body guys that I trust swears by it as a sealer.  Said he shot it on
a pickup which was in bare metal then let it sit outside for about 5 years with
no sign of surface rust showing up.  Most primers are designed to absorb paint
shot on top of them and hence absorb moisture when just left as primer.  Epoxy
based primers do not have this characteristic, hence work well as a sealer.
The Transtar is the best that I have found.  Being that you need to get it
inside of the rocker you could mix some up and just slosh it around in there or
if you have a large enough opening you could stick the end of your spray gun in
there and shoot it in.

Transtar is now available at O'Reileys Auto.