[tcb] Rivi progress/JBB trip

  • From: "Gerald V. Livingston II" <gvl2@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: tcb@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 6 Oct 2004 00:13:06 -0500 (Central Standard Time)

General info: Working a job where you sit on your butt 17 hours/day is
detrimental to your health.

Sitting for 17 hours then going out to work on a bus in the hot, muggy,
midnight air really sucks. I think I spent more time crawling out from
under the Rivi to stretch out the kinks than I did actually working on it.

Thanks for the chamois suggestion a while back NQ. Great headband.

OK, two nights ago I got out there and got all of the fuel line run. Got
the fuel pump mounted. Got the regulator and "T" for the fuel line
positioned for mounting on the firewall.

Tonight I'll try to get the "T" and regulator mounted, went and bought some
short self tapping screws for the firewall and hose clamps to use as
mounting devices. I'll also see about putting the muffler on but I need to
run home for a shower since ours here at work is down during some minor
remodeling - that's 2 hours worth of driving for a shower <sigh>.

I've already decided that my cojones are too small to try and get it
running for JBB. I'm towing again. Starting it this week and driving 2800
miles next week gives me the willies all of a sudden. I'm not thrilled
about the amount of mountain driving I'll have to do going northeast but...
oh well.

Maybe I can talk Jake into coming up and he can be there for the engine
startup. Should be down to the point of just wiring it up by the time I
leave for JBB. Plus the little things have come up that make me a bit more
uncomfortable -- like where the heck do I get vaccuum for the booster? I
think I need a 3/4 valve cover with a nipple on it since I have the dual
Webers installed. And, where do I run my breather hose to?

Further, short, report in the next few days to note progress.

Anyone from here planning to go to JBB? (http://www.johnbrownsbuses.com)
Anyone that can take the whole week off?

I'm planning to leave some time Monday or Tuesday and drive to Huntsville,
AL where my mom lives. that's 12 - 14 hours.

We will leave there late Wednesday night or VERY early thursday morning to
go on to Harper's Ferry. That's another 12 - 14 hours. We'll stay Thursday
night at a hostel there that is operated by some friends. We'll go to the
campground early Friday to get set up and get the Chevy out of the way.
We'll head back to Alabama as soon as the festivities break up Sunday. The
KOA has a 1pm checkout so i suppose everyone will be headed out by then.
I'll crash a few hours then head home some time Monday morning.

Anyone that would like to travel along is welcome to crash at my mom's
house. It's been a community crash pad for as long as I can remember. If we
get there late and my aunt has to work the next day she'll probably stick
her head out to say hi and go over the "ground rules" (finish every
leftover in the house, replace anything you eat that wasn't a "leftover",
wash any dish you dirty, don't "try to be quiet" -- 20 people can't do that
and "people noise" won't wake anybody that sleeps in that house on a
regular basis anyway). Mom doesn't work so she'll probably come out and
bullshit with anyone staying inside who's willing to stay awake a while.

May have to pay hostel fees if a big group shows up for Thursday night so
I'd need to have an approximate number.

If you'd like to go then visit the website and make your reservations now.

Gerald