[tcb] Re: ? Replacing the copper contact for the horn

  • From: JKi7886155@xxxxxxx
  • To: tcb@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 10 Apr 2007 17:50:45 EDT

Duncan:

I have the same problem with my Vanagon horn right now. It's probably the
large padded horn button. Pry it off and look for two (2) wires on the back
side and see if by removing one and grounding it to the steering column, the
horn will blow. If so, check to see why pressing the horn button, when it is
back in place will not provide a ground. It is probably a corroded contact
somewhere. Easy to fix with a little emery cloth.

Jack Kirsch.

In a message dated 4/10/2007 4:08:10 PM Central Daylight Time,
whocanduncan@xxxxxxxxxxx writes:

crawled  under there and tested the horn with direct current and it works.
I'm sure  it's the copper contact in the steering wheel. Remember the story
about  going over the Hoover Dam with it blaring away? It only worked once
since  then. And that time was a time I REALLY needed it to work. Someone of
the  Venus persuasion was pulling into a parking lot while talking on a cell
'phone and headed right, square at us! The horn worked and she stopped 3'
from us. It think Freedom was drawing on self-preservation because the  horn
hasn't worked again since.

And I heard it is common for the  the copper ring to deteriorate over time
and crack apart.

I can  hook up a momentary switch somewhere direct to the horn but then I'd
have  to claim to be from AR. JUS' KIDDING! ;) <-- see, wink,  wink.

----Original Message Follows----
From: Mark Sawyer  <mechmark@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>

I would try removing the plastic center  of the steering wheel first and
grounding the wire to make sure the horn  is even  working.

Get  a FREE Web site, company branded e-mail and more from Microsoft Office
Live!  http://clk.atdmt.com/MRT/go/mcrssaub0050001411mrt/direct/01/