[tcb] Re: Question about glass

  • From: "Will" <evil.scientist.boo@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "tcb@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <tcb@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 4 Dec 2009 16:45:50 -0500

I will just buy 10 of them and swap parts.

Yes I have heard that too about the organic components.  They were aircooled
however and they smoked worse than Selma Diamond.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre
James Dwan wrote:

Good luck getting parts...oh I forgot wasn't the suspension made of wood and
leather?

From: sammie smith &lt;bugcollections@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>

To: tcb@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Date: Friday, December 4, 2009, 8:38 AM

Hmm!  I am not an expert on VW glass:  But, there was a period around 58-61 or
so that VW put laminate glass in the side windows of the Type II.  This was
apparently made by Sigla glass.  Most VWs, busses included, have tempered glass
(non-sigla) including the windshield for all markets other than the US where
tempered glass for windshields is not legal.  For whatever reason for some
busses for some short period of time VW put laminate (non-tempered) glass in
the side windows.  For the driver and passenger door sliding glass with
non-tempered laminate glass there are no holes cut through the laminate for the
slider latch.  The slider is different.  It fits up beside the glass, not
through it, and is mounted on a slider bar that fits under the window.  Maybe
Terry or Will can chime in.  I know Terry has at least one bus with the Sigla
slider glass because I sold him one slider latch
 mounted on the slider bar for his bus.  There are also several threads on the
Samba re: the Sigla glass and the slider bar that goes with them.

Apparently you cannot drill a hole through laminate glass and that is the
reason for the uniques type of catch arrangement on these windows.  Personally
I am a fan of tempered glass and have never understood the US's rationale for
the requirement of laminate glass.  I think the tempered is much safer.  And
apparently the rest of the world agrees with me.

From: James Dwan &lt;james_dwan_2000@xxxxxxxxx>

Subject: [tcb] Question about glass

To: tcb@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Date: Thursday, December 3, 2009, 5:39 PM

Sigla made glass not slider tracks right? I have found an ad that says Late
Logo slider Glass With SIGLA Track.

Is there such a thing? I don't need a track I need the Sigla glass.

Thanks!

James