[tcb] Re: Pedigrees..... Republic of Texas?

  • From: "Denis Dodson" <coocoo@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <tcb@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 10 Mar 2011 13:46:01 -0600

My family didn't need a boat. They, apparently came from up around the Red
River. My Mom was born in Calera, OK and my Dad was born in Bokchito, OK.
Before that they may have lived in caves for all I know. My Granfather on my
Dad's side was named George Riley, they tell me. My sister Sue is adopted and
her family from my Mother's side is bigger and has deeper Texas roots, I
believe.

The archivist at Washington-on-the-Brazos supports the very strong possibility
that a I am a descendant of Ruth Dodson who made the first flag of the Texas
Republic. Up until the war for Texas Independence every Texican town had their
own militia and flag (Gonzales "Come and Get It") For the convention they had
to agree on one flag and that was the Dodson flag. Red White and Blue bars
vertical (like the French flag) with a star on the left bar. It is on display
at the Alamo.

Ruth's husband was not at San Jacinto because he was one of the leaders of the
"Runaway Scrape".

They were from Harrisburg, which is now Houston.

I think I told this story on here before, but Kelly doesn't know it. He's from
Michigan and they don't really have any history.

Bonus trivia, Did Y'all know that Sam Houston's name was the first word spoken
from the surface of the moon?