[tcb] Omaha VW Club gives away 1970 Bus

  • From: "Trey Jung" <treyjung@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <tcb@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 25 Jun 2005 18:23:23 -0500

I was in Omaha  Nebraska this week and yesterdays newspaper had this cool
story: (Typing by Dee!)

"Gift to injured Volkswagen buff: Penny, the love hug"

Members of the Omaha Volkswagen Club are convinced that their four-wheeled
friends have minds of their own.

Penny, a 1970 VW minibus the group recently renovated and raffled off, is no
exception.

So it was no surprise that following the raffle at the club's annual car show
in Gretna, Penny found her way to Missouri - the home of a VW lover who had
just lost his own little bus.

The official winner of Saturday's raffle, which is estimated to have raised at
least $2,000 for the Make-a-Wish Foundation, was Adam Silverman, who spent $270
on raffle tickets for the "1970 Type II campmobile."

When Silverman's ticket was called, he jumped onto the stage, grabbed the
microphones, turned on his cell phone's speaker and called his friend Gary
Jarrett, who lives in Lincoln, Mo.

"We did it right on the spot," Silverman said. "We called him and told him he
just won a new bus."

Jarrett said he was crying during that phone call - sitting in his Missouri
home, recovering from an accident that left him with broken ribs, a punctured
lung, injured shoulders and without a VW bus.

Early in June, Jarrett was driving home in his new 1966 microbus "Horst" when
one of the tires blew out, and the bus rolled several times.

"I was pretty fortunate to get out of that one," the 44-year5-old said.

One of the first things Jarrett did after a helicopter took him to a nearby
hospital was to have his wife "tell the 'list' what happened." The "list"
contains all of the e-mail addresses of people Jarrett has met through VW
Clubs, including Silverman.

Soon, cards and phone calls from VW friends all over the country began pouring
in - and the Omaha VW Club began planning how to get Jarrett a new bus.

Omaha World-Herald Newspapaer

6/24/2005 Page 8B.