[tcb] Re: OT - Darkroom Work

  • From: j duncan <whocanduncan@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <tcb@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 26 Jan 2008 15:27:49 -0600

Hijacked:  Re: OT - Digital camera question

I'm not weighing in on the camera other than to say: optics. Regardless of the
format.

Darkroom work, huh? NOW I have something to say. I was a master B&W darkroom
technician. And I sucked as a color tech. I know I'm asking you to accept that
at face value and nothing I "say" will sway you one way or the other. With that
said, I can do things in photoshop in MINUTES that used to take DAYS in the
darkroom. In B&W and color, too. H#ll, I can do things in photoshop that could
never be done in the darkroom. I will never go back into a darkroom. Ever.

Oh, shooting film can be compared to driving a bus. There's something there
that can't be gotten from shooting digital.. .or driving a water-cooled
automatic.  Think of me as that vw mechanic that never, ever wants to see
another bus again. I sold all my commercial gear, which was old school film,
and never looked back. The only film camera you'll see me use today are those
point-and-shoot boxes you find at the checkout counter.

To: tcb@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [tcb] Re: OT - Digital camera question
Date: Sat, 26 Jan 2008 10:34:42 -0500
From: wuzmop@xxxxxxx

 My brother used to do that when we were kids. He's as non artistic as they
come, but could photograph and develop some B&W photos that would make a pro
take notice. He still has his old school Nikon. He got a nice digi camera, but
went back old school almost immediately.

From: ThatVWGuy@xxxxxxxxxxx

To: tcb@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Subject: [tcb] OT - Digital camera question

Date: Fri, 25 Jan 2008 18:06:01 -0500

I really love photography but it is an expensive hobby.  For a film camera it
is like 40 cents +/- every time you click the shutter not counting the cost of
the camera or having enlargements made.  I have been thinking about stepping up
to a nice Digital SLR camera but they are a little pricey.  Does anyone have
one they?  If so can you share your cost benefit analysis?

Thanks

Need to know the score, the latest news, or you need your Hotmail®-get your
"fix". Check it out.=

More new features than ever.  Check out the new AOL Mail!

Climb to the top of the charts! Play the word scramble challenge with star
power.