[tcb] Re: No Havasu

  • From: "Gerald V. Livingston II" <gvl2@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: tcb@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 9 Jan 2006 18:54:01 -0600 (Central Standard Time)

On Mon, 9 Jan 2006 13:51:15 -0600 Dan Martin <danandkatrinamartin@xxxxxxx>
wrote:

> Sorry to hear about the clutch problem.
> Do you have a spare cable?
> Could just be stretched. (did you install a new heavy clutch with the
> raby motor?)

Cable new and looks good. No heavy duty clutch. (and there's under 1000
miles on the motor since startup) (and yes, I carry a clutch and accel
cable)

> Did you get the idle straightened out?

Not really. It still wants to "hunt" after it warms up if you let it drop
to idle. I think it may be a sticky cable/linkage.

> That windshield could wait until the return trip?

No.

> We will be glad to have you at the beach!

Plan to bethere anyway. Can do that one with a 7/7 swap.

Here's the text I posted to a couple of those forum things (I thought Forum
was PentHouse, not VW?).

Every time I repost this I came a bit closer to just towing it. The towbar
is aleady hooked up. I'm about to hit the hay in a few minutes as I have my
alarm set for 2am so I can get to Killeen at a decent time in the morning.
Should be done there before 10 AM and once I'm there I'm already 6 hours
closer to Havasu. When towing I don't normally leave HOME until about 6pm
Tuesday and arrive Thursday afternoon/night. I could even still do the
"backroads trip".

The better stereo is in the bus though <sigh>.

[text reposted from forums]

Just got back here. Boss at least thought to grab my tow bar so we could
drag the Rivi back here without me having to make another 100 mile trip in
my truck (home is 59 miles from work where I have my VW's garaged).

Clutch cable brand new and shiny clean.

Seems to be heat related though. It started "grabbing" a little after about
40 or 50 miles of driving but it did that some last week on the "break in"
trip of 350 miles each way. It would release most of the time and when it
didn't, it wasn't a full blown "stuck in gear no clutch", more like a
"reluctant to let go". I thought I just needed another 1/4 turn or so on
the wing nut.

As I said, it started grabbing a bit after 40 or 50 miles today. I stopped
by my house to make sure the cats were loaded up for me being gone 10 days
and noticed it a bit at some of the stop signs.

I have no idea how much further along the highway it decided to REALLY
refuse to let go. All I know is I had gone another 100 miles when I decided
I wanted to refuel.

I coaxed it back to the house and called the boss to come get me when he
could. I fiddled with tightening the wing nut as far as it would go. Still
not releasing. Clutch in, shifter in 1st, buck and jump when I turn the
key.

Boss called and said he had my towbar so I kicked the Rivi real hard then
made it complain as I coaxed it back and forth in 1st and reverse to get it
pointed back out the driveway.

Then I went and watched Television while I waited (and remembered all over
again why I don't watch TV in the first place).

He arrived, we hooked up, we towed back here. We unhooked the towbar, I got
in - put it in 1st - turned the key... smooth as butter.

So, either something rattled loose during the tow, or it's heat soak
related and cleared as it cooled.

Ideas?

G2