[tcb] Re: New guy looking for a caravan to follow to Buli Gras

  • From: kelly dosch <kellydosch@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: tcb@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 22 Feb 2011 20:29:37 -0800 (PST)

  I grew up near Lake Orion. (named after Orion's Belt) Everybody has always
pronounced it Lake Oh-ree-un, because when the city was founded they just
didn't know any better. Now they are talking about changing the pronunciation.
I wonder how long that will take.

From: RENDONinD@xxxxxxx

Sender: tcb-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Date: Tue, 22 Feb 2011 21:20:55 EST

To: <tcb@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>

ReplyTo: tcb@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Hello my name is Lanny, just got my '79 Westi running 2 nites ago, thx to Jed
in San Antonio and Kevin here in Keller.  i'm looking to follow a group to
Galveston for Buli Gras.  I did make Morgan's Point this year, unfortunately my
bus was not running but i did make the trip on my motorycle.  I'm looking to
leave somewhat early Friday morning/mid morning.  I live in Keller but i
wouldn't mind meeting anyone anywhere along the way.  Thx in advance and hope
to meet everyone there and along the way.

Lanny

In a message dated 2/22/2011 7:22:18 P.M. Central Standard Time,
kellydosch@xxxxxxxxx writes:

  You guys do realize it is almost a full month later than usual this year,
right?
  It's also Galveston's 100th Mardi Gras. So it is going to be warm and packed.
They are expecting traffic jams getting on and off the island. I'm going early
Thursday in hopes of avoiding some of that mess.

From: kelly dosch <kellydosch@xxxxxxxxx>
To: tcb@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Tuesday, February 22, 2011, 1:37 PM

  I bet it won't even drop below 60* at night.
  Oh that's right, you're all a bunch of Texans. You'll still be shivering in
fur lined parkas and mittens.
  I'll bring hot chocolate for uh,.. you-all.

From: Denis Dodson <coocoo@xxxxxxx>
To: tcb@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Tuesday, February 22, 2011, 8:49 AM

Windy, cold, bus trouble, farting… welcome to Bulli Cras!

From: Eric Woodall <ericthomaswoodall@xxxxxxx>
To: "tcb@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <tcb@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: "Texas Coalition of Buses" <tcb@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sunday, February 20, 2011, 9:45 AM

Just don't try to use one with a full length roof rack.

I just don't work.

I'm glad you liked yours, I just hated mine.

It was great while it was set up but set up and teardown sucked big time I
thought.

Guess I'm probably spoiled by years of setting up backpacking tents though.

On Feb 19, 2011, at 10:35 PM, kelly dosch <kellydosch@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

  In case any of you have been considering selling a kidney to buy one these
rudely over-priced tents, I highly recommend it.
  I think it is really every bit as good as they claim, if not better.
  Is it really over $400 worth of tent? Not by any stretch. For that money one
might expect a Sherpa to carry it for you. But they have cornered the U.S.
market so it's all about supply and demand.
   Does you want one or does you don't?
  I searched long and hard and finally found some side tents across the pond.
They had some interesting tents but they don't ship to the U.S.. I checked the
prices of a few remailing services, did the math, and one might as well get
plowed by Bus Depot for all the trouble it was worth. Plus, Europeans are not
terribly concerned with having a floor in a tent. That just doesn't fly down
here with the swarms of mosquitoes.
  The Bus Depot tent
 makes an impressively snug fit against the bus and has a bottom curtain so
wind, bugs and varmints don't just wander in underneath.
  The canvas is thin but stronger than your average tent. The poles are built
like a tank.
  These tents are built to last.
  It actually packs down a bit smaller than they estimate and the tent, poles,
and ropes and stakes are in 3 different bags, so you can spread them throughout
the bus more efficiently than if it were all one huge mass.
  It is heavier than all hell at 85lbs, but most of the weight is in the poles.
(which is a relatively small bag that will disappear, flush,  in the front
cargo rack) They are very heavy duty and built to last. Since It is something I
want to last as long as my bus I cannot fault them for that. The poles are the
cornerstone of the tent and it is safe to say they will last forever.
  The extra "changing room" is on sale, but I don't
 recommend it. It literally takes up half the tent. If you are shy about
changing with your guests it is easier to just do it under the blankets or in
the john at your campground.
  I didn't pay over $400 for a tent just to use half of it to change my pants
in.
  I just wanted to give everybody my two cents worth because it is a lot of
cash to drop on a product from a company that offers no reviews. They don't
even have many pictures and the ones they have are crappy. I don't even think
the one in the picture was entirely set up. It looks like a big potato sack. It
really tightens down much nicer than the pic.
  All told- Are they overcharging us? Hell yes. But it did just turn my tiny
Campmobile into a virtual cabin, adding 100 square feet of living space.
  Their profit margin must be shameful, but if you are camping with more than 2
people I still think it is worth it.
  And if you still want a changing
 cabin, just get the $35 Coleman shower. At least you can bathe in it as well.

19:34:00