[tcb] Re: Need a VW friendly body shop in Dallas...

  • From: sammie smith <bugcollections@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: tcb@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 31 Mar 2009 12:27:48 -0700 (PDT)

I have already said I would not give him one to restore; but that said:
restoration shops are lots of bucks.  To do a ground up and do it right you are
looking at 500-1,000 hours of labor depending on the VW and the amount of work
that has to be done.  Now if you calculate what most shops in Texas and
surrounding areas want ($50-$90 per hour) it doesn't take high level math to
figure the cost.  That little vert that won best vintage at Ennis last Sunday
was done by Lenny Coop 4-5-6 years ago and my guestimate is that the bill was
at least $35,000.  But it is an absolutely beautiful car (61 I think) and about
as close to original factory as possible.  Met a guy a couple of years ago that
had talked to Lenny about restoring a hard top 56 oval.  Lenny wanted a $20,000
up front deposit and a minimum of 24 months to work on the car.