[tcb] Re: Nac Show

  • From: Mark Sawyer <mechmark@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: tcb@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 26 Mar 2007 13:35:49 -0700 (PDT)

They were still way too tight!!!

Ronnie Hughes <fracdogii@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:    It would have been close.  325
lbs x 6" = 162.5 ft-lbs of torque  You can only use the distance from the
center of the lug wrench to where your foot was pushing down.  An impact wrench
would not have been as much fun though.

  Ronnie

Mark Sawyer <mechmark@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
  I just looked up the electric impact at Harbor Freight. It says it has 150 ft
pounds of torque. That would not have been enough. I was standing on the end of
a 12" 4 way while Ronnie was hitting it with a 2# hand sledge. I don't know how
to do the calculations but I'm 325#'s at the end of 12"'s. How much torque
would that be??? I know it was enough to bend Ronnie's 4-way lug wrench.---mark

ote:   Sitting in my office. I've never had to try using it on a really STUCK
nut.
It uses a centrifugal "whiz-bang" method rather than the consistent
hammering of a real air-impact wrench.

The socket head is clutched out as the motor spins up to speed. When the
motor/flywheel reaches a certain speed then BANG!, the clutch engages for a
single hit and the spin-up process starts over.

It might be an excersize in patience to use it on a hard jammed lug
nut/bolt.

Got mine for $20 at Wal-Mart n clearance a few years ago. Makes life REAL
nice on non-stuck lugs.

And I *REALLY* need to fix the way that stupid gallery software makes
links. That long one is doomed to wrap because it used the "picture
comment" to rename all the files before upload.

For those that couldn't click directly on the link to the 12V Impact
picture you can start at the link below. Jerome 2004 when I forgot my
camera in the truck while I was at the show. There's like 5 pictures of
boring nothingness.

http://phorce1.us/Jerome_2004

G2

  Bored stiff? Loosen up...