[tcb] My weekend at Eureka

  • From: "Denis Dodson" <coocoo@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <tcb@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 27 Aug 2007 10:38:29 -0500

It was a great show. The weather was very good. It rained like hell on Friday,
but stopped before the burger/hot dog event. It rained Friday night but quit
around 8:30, I guess. 220 cars.

I was amazed, before I put on my show T-shirt, as I was standing around, that
people started asking me where to park and where was registration and this and
that. Did I look like I knew?

Finally, I did put on my T and stood in the road at the rise between the lower
and upper lots. It was a great place to be. I saw and talked to about 30% of
the entrants and met new people and old ones I hadn't seen for awhile. Pretty
much I had everyone turn right and fill in wherever you wanted. It went very
smoothly.

I had a couple of tense moments when two different people were all agitated
about judging, which I had no input on and couldn't see the problem. One guy
had put his sand rail in as a type 3 because it was a type 3 frame. So, is it a
type 3 or a sand rail? people get really wound up about those trophies.

I was showing Jan a couple of cars and missed the awarding of the Psycoblooie
trophy. Dave Hiellman (sp?) was the MC and he was at Psycoblooie (poptop Westy,
off white with a gold VW emblem) And, according to witnesses he said
"Psycoblooie, if you were there, you know." Which may become the motto and will
be how we invite new people. Everyone who was there knows what kind of people
should be there. They told me that the guy with the white hair and beard went
"Woo hoo!" That was Paul.

Every night I thought I was going to bed at 1 AM only to be told that people
were looking for me at 9 PM. Getting old.

Steve, "Big Balls" came up in his Honda and insisted that he couldn't go to the
show without a VW, borrowed Murray and I drove the Ghia. I warned him that I
had put absolutely no maintenance on the bus since Fredricksburg and not much
since the 3500 mile trip to Florida. I had intake leaks, exhaust leaks, hadn't
checked the valves...Basically the bus was in a state of neglect. He said that
he would fix it all. I thought "Yeah yeah" I had heard that from plenty of
people. He had it going well enough that he did drive it up to the show and it
was strange