[tcb] My Classic Experience

  • From: julie.hey.ho.lets.go@xxxxxxxxx
  • To: tcb@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 16 Jun 2010 23:25:59 -0500

I flew out to California on Wednesday.  My first stop was Wolfsburg West.  I
got a full tour.  It was cool to meet the folks that I have spoken to oh so
many times over the phone.  It was better than being in Willy Wonka's
Chocolate Factory even if there were no Umpa Lumpas.

And then I was off to the Blackstar Campout that was hosted by VTO.  And
that night I got to go to a private party at a VW big wig's house, I met
some neat people and saw lots of neat stuff.

Thursday was just a chill out day for me at the campground. This year, for
the first time, it was held at Prado Regional Park.  It is beautiful there.
The VTO people were very friendly.  At night they made rounds to introduce
themselves to everybody.  I joined with them on their rounds and passed out
cookies.  It was like we were Christmas caroling but without the singing.

On Friday many of the VW businesses had open houses.  I went to one at
VeeDub Unlimited but it was crazy crowded so I fled to the beach for a few
hours.  It was a very Bay Watchian experience.  The waves were good size so
I got to see surfers surf.  And then one got himself into a bit of trouble
and I got to see a skinny young male lifeguard swim out and then pull the
surfer back to shore.  There was no mouth-to-mouth so it wasn't that
exciting, but I was impressed with the strength and speed of the lifeguard,
that's for sure.  And then the teenagers that were sitting right next to me
started to get in a fight with some other teenagers.  I thought it wouldn't
go too far because there were parents there but then a dad, who is a hulk of
a man, started to chest bump one of the young guys from the opposing side.
And then the brewhaha fizzled out.

Friday evening I went to Nick's.  It is just a hamburger place but it gets
invaded by VWs-a-plenty.  The overflow spills into the parking lot across
the street.  People were jaywalking and the cops were handing out tickets,
so folks, if you ever go to California, don't jaywalk!

After Nick's I went over to Angel Stadium where my friend was helping to set
up for OCTO.  When I returned to the campground Walter was there!  He
started life in the Air Force and now he is the world's largest Spilt Window
Bus.  Here check him out: www.walterthebus.org

Saturday morning at 5am the airhorns were set off to wake us all for the
cruise to OCTO.  I was planning on riding on the top of Walter to OCTO but
being the goofball that I am I lost the keys to my friend's Bus and then
finally found them when it was too late, Walter had already taken off.  I
hopped into a 23 Window and figured that we would stay right at the tail end
of the cruise but heck no!  The driver drove that Bus all kinds of fast and
we dashed to the front and then fell to the back and then back up to the
front again.  It was a blast!

OCTO had about 315 Split Window Buses present.  What a wonderful site!

Back at the campground after OCTO there was a Dutch oven cook off and I had
the honor of being one of the judges, and then there was a band who
performed and then a raffle where I won a laptop.  Does it get any better
than that?

And of course The Classic was on Sunday.  If you check out my photos, you
will see that I really didn't take very many, just a handful to show just
how dang big the show is and then some of a schwimmwagen.  I mostly looked
and shopped and talked, rather than messing with the cameras.  And then I
once again got to go to a private party at another VW big wig's house.  I am
a lucky, lucky lady.

And then Monday back to reality.

So here is some of what I saw:

At the campout:

http://picasaweb.google.com/impishwhatevers/BlackstarCampout?authkey=Gv1sRgCLW_zMC2iJjsBw#

At Nick's:

http://picasaweb.google.com/impishwhatevers/NickS?authkey=Gv1sRgCK6Fm5HGqLXOEA#

On the cruise to OCTO:

http://picasaweb.google.com/impishwhatevers/CruiseToOCTO?authkey=Gv1sRgCMn1qPvAw7rlLw#

At OCTO:

http://picasaweb.google.com/impishwhatevers/OCTO?authkey=Gv1sRgCMLdgdzp27Hm6gE#

At The Classic:

http://picasaweb.google.com/impishwhatevers/TheClassic?authkey=Gv1sRgCKGdpZXu_pmeFg#

And some other VWs I saw during the week:

http://picasaweb.google.com/impishwhatevers/OtherPhotosFromTheWeek?authkey=Gv1sRgCM2NzoLL98bhpAE#