[tcb] Re: My Bulli Blahs

  • From: "Peter Albarian" <pcalbar@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: tcb@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 12 Nov 2006 04:15:10 +0000 GMT

Will (and those of you not in Florida),
I wrote a novelett late last night and accidentally deleted it instead of
sending it.  I was so tired and irritated when that happened that I just went
to sleep.  You and anyone else not down here are missing an unbelievable
weekend!!!!!!!!!!  We are absolutely having a blast.  Will, I didn't come down
here with any parts, but a lot of good ones will be headed back for Texas after
the Bug Jam tomorrow.
Last night was a fantastic start to the festivities.  The Rare & Unique show
included many sights to behold.  The showroom included a lowered collection
including a Fridoline, High-Roof, and early post-war four-door convertable
Beetle.  The main shop had about 12 Split-Window Beetles dating from '47-'52
(no Zwitters); a real sight to see.  Outside included many VWs including a few
Barndoors and a split convertible Beetle.  Their stacks of 16" wheels in the
rafters was a sight to see for anyone who appreciates really early stuff.
There was music and food, and a lot of great gocking and conversation.  I heard
from Dennis that things wrapped up there at about 3:00am.
Even before everyone arrived, Kirk and I headed over to Mark Raferty's Bus
restoration shop north of St Petersburg.  We had a bunch of Bus friends and
aquaintances (all purists from around the US) congregating there.  The multiple
Barndoors, early campers, logos, and parts were only overshadowed by one of our
favorite pasttimes...............talking about old Buses, learning more, and
enlightening others.  We managed to score some DC gates, and a nice slash
bumper for our newly aquired camper.  We had a difficult time prying ourselves
away at 11:30 but rest before tomorrow's Bulli event seemed to be the wise
choice.
The Bulli Brigade starts at 8:00am, so Kirk and I arrived at about 7:30 to take
in all of it.  Some venders and Buses arrived before us so we got right to
work.  We scored quite a few parts that we can use on our Buses including an
early Westy rack that I had only seen one of that vintage before (on Friday
night).  Dennis and Terry were kind enough to let us stash our stuff in their
Buses and get them closer to home for us.
After the show, everyone caravaned to what was supposed to be the "host" hotel.
 After a brief stop just before the hotel, there was apparently some confusion
about the host hotel for Bulli Brigade today and Bug Jam tomorrow.  The caravan
got split up due to people not quickly getting back to their Buses, and not
everyone made the BB hotel.  Kirk and I were the only TCBers who made the
raging party at the BB host hotel........what a blast.  While at the party in
the parking lot, we were introduced to Jerson Saicedo from Columbia.  He's the
new latest and greatest excellent Bus replacement metal fabricator.  From what
I'm told from multiple restorers, his products as so superior to Wolfsburg
West, that his business is growing very quickly.
It's late, I'm tired, and we have one last half day at Bug Jam tomorrow; more
to come then.
Peter
BlackBerry service provided by Nextel