[tcb] Mi Hilo, Alexander - no bus content

  • From: Ronnie Hughes <fracdogii@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "tcb@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <tcb@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 22 Dec 2011 04:49:09 -0800 (PST)

No VW buses anyway.

A few of  you know that my son, Alex, has been on a world tour this year.

We dropped him off at IAH on March 23 and he's been traveling since.  First was
off to France and Spain to hike the Saint James Way (1,500 km in 90 days), work
on an organic farm in Spain and end up at a 10 day reggae festival
in Benicàssim, Spain.

After that he flew to Buenos Aires, Argentina jumped on a BUS for a 30 hour
ride to Barriloca, Arg in an area known as Patagonia, where a lot of the old
hippes went chill when they left California.  He worked on a few different
organic farms and spent the weekends at the market selling vegetables and
partaking of the local music, crafts, herbs and home brews. There are a lot of
hikers and hostels for $8 to $12/night and many trails to hike in the area.
He's met people from all over the world and will spend a few days hiking or
hanging out with them before going back to work for a couple of weeks.  On the
farms very few spoke English so his rough Spanish skills are being tested big
time. Nothing like total emersion to learn a new language.

After a couple of months there, he now is on the move through Chile and now is
in La Paz, Bovila where many of the people he has met in SA are meeting up at
Lake Titicaca for the winter solstice (or is it the summer solstice down
there), Christmas and New Years celebrations.  He and a girl he met in
Santiago, Chile hitch hiked and rode buses (think of Romancing the Stone bus
rides not the old gray dog) for about two weeks traveling the 3,000 km north to
La Paz.

He has a couple of months left to explore Boliva and Peru, then back to
the States in March.

He's had a few hassles, but suprisingly very few considering he is a gingo con
barba grande (white dude with a big beard).

I wish I could be there with him for the adventure, but I'll pass on the daily
hiking, living out of a backpack and smelling like a farm animal for 12
months.  Pictures will do fine.  He is writing a journal and taking photos and
I hope he writes it all down some day.  We keep up with him through FB and
emails when he stops at a cybercafe.

Enjoy the links.

Ronnie

http://www.caminosantiagodecompostela.com/