[tcb] Re: Main Shaft

  • From: "Fred McDonald" <texasbluebus@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <tcb@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 29 Oct 2004 10:25:12 -0500

I finished the work on the bus late last night. My tranny was leaking like a
sieve; the axle boots were cracked and oil was leaking from the bell
housing. I replaced the boots, replaced the main shaft oil seal, cleaned a
lot of crud off the tranny and axle, refilled the tranny and reduction boxes
and cleaned the engine. For the longest time I never new how much gear oil
is needed in the reduction boxes.(something bay owners don't have to worry
about) I remember Matt Callahan telling me to fill them to the top. I knew
this wasn't correct because I did this once and they leaked all over the
place and I had to replace all the gaskets & seals. The correct amount is
.25 ltr or .55 pints USA. (from the Robert Bentley VW Transporter Work Shop
Manual 1963 - 1967)
Ethel? Is that like Fred & Ethel? ^_~ LOL