[tcb] Re: Main Shaft

  • From: Mark Sawyer <mechmark@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: tcb@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 27 Oct 2004 21:06:34 -0700 (PDT)

the wire is to hold the clips in place while you are putting the throw out
bearing back in. trying to hold the bearing and get the clips in place are a
real pain in the back side. as long as the wire is not interfering with the
operation of the bearing, leave it there.

Fred McDonald <accessibility's@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Thanks for the reply,
My brother is a very good mechanic but not a VW mechanic; I'm not a mechanic
but I have owned several VWs in my time and have some (not a lot) experience
with the quirkiness of the breed. He was very concerned that the shaft was a
little lose, he said "If this was a ford Transmission I'd be very worried
and would recommend we fix this." I told him that it has always been this
way, even before it had been rebuilt and as far back as I could remember my
past VWs were the same. I told him just to be safe that I would ask the
group.

On another subject,
In order to replace the main shaft oil seal we had to remove the throw-out
bearing. The spring clips that hold the bearing in place had a fine piece of
wire strapping them to the throw-out bearing leaver. Is this necessary, just
good practice, wouldn't bother? I'm not sure but I think Lyle Cherry did
this when he rebuilt my engine.