[tcb] Re: Kat's great trip report. BNNTA news

  • From: "Gerald V. Livingston II" <gvl2@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: tcb@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 4 Sep 2006 11:38:14 -0500 (Central Standard Time)

You didn't know it but all that work on Murray was for the Jerome trip.

9 hours ... HAH!

Jerome lists at about 1150 miles from your house. DAMN! you're closer than
me by over 300 miles.

I'll most likely tow even if I get the pilot bearing done. A 3000+ mile
"test drive" doesn't sound cool. But I don't go over 55 or 60 while towing
so it's like driving a bus anyway [grin].

G2

On Sun, 3 Sep 2006 23:18:10 -0500 Denis Dodson <coocoo@xxxxxxx> wrote:

> I am home from Busses Nowhere Near the Arch. It was a truly great and
unique event, but for me it was Busses Nowhere Near ANYTHING. It is a LONG
drive, 8 or 9 hours doing 80 in the truck with Murray on the friggin'
trailer again.

> I had some family trouble getting away because it was Jan's first week of
school and they moved her into a new room which made for an emergency
"honey-do" list that was murder. I was dedicated to driving Murray to the
BNNTA and so, of course, the alternator quit charging. I have found a new
VW mechanic up here with great credentials, and who, as another benefit
from living in a small town and not a big city, could drop everything and
help me slam this new Bosch in and drive out all the electrical gremlins
that I have been fighting for so long. Even so, this was going to take most
of the travel day, so I asked if he could work on the bus while it was on
the trailer. I was still thinking that I might make it driving up in
Murray, but if he was on the trailer I could drop him off and use the truck
to finish packing and stuff for the trip. So that was when I ran out of
friggin' gas.

> Not too bad though, I was within a quarter mile or so of my shop. Took an
hour or so of time I didn't have. So I get Murray to the trailer and load
him up, drop him at the mechanic's and pack. Now I'm thinking God may not
want me to go to BNNTA, but that wasn't it; God wanted me to take the
trailer. I had decided that, if I could be on the highway by 6:00 PM, I
would still go, but I would need the trailer and truck so I could go 80 or
not go. I hit the road at 5:45.

> By 10:00 PM I was seeing double and picturing in my mind my spectacular
flaming death from falling asleep at the wheel doing 80 with a bus on a
trailer and the gasoline truck that had my name on it. Motel time in
Lebanon MO.

> Don't miss the next engrossing episode where Denis has too many free
Jell-O shots at the information booth and Steve and Sharon's Coca Cola bus
becomes a trailer Queen. There are photos.