[tcb] It's alive!, It's alive! IT'S ALIVE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

  • From: James Dwan <james_dwan_2000@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: tcb@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 8 Sep 2010 18:29:09 -0700 (PDT)

About an hour ago a mostly restored 1959 23 Window started up and idled for the
first time since 1971. It was a wonderful sound I assure you. Unfortunately my
wife was the one who turned the key and started it for the first time while I
sprayed carb cleaner into the bowl...but I was happy none the less. She has
heard me bitch about Billy Dobbs And Jay for the last 3 years so maybe it was
fitting.

As most of you know, I had to take the Bus back unfinished due to a serious
lack of progress since missing the Classic and had to figure out a lot of the
solutions to the problems with the help of the good people on this list and
several Aircoolers.

After getting a new clutch cable, E- Brake cables, which I took to a wire rope
dealer to re-swedge the ends onto it after shortening a 64-67 cable by 10.5"
because of the later model tranny I had installed and realizing the reserve
tank valve was not only not hooked up but was in the closed position (hence no
fuel to the carb), replacing a couple of pop out windows broken in the
installation process (whadda bitch) I actually heard him roar to life tonight.

Unfortunately the sever leaks on the reduction gear boxes and the CV boots as
well as the ginormous slop in the steering wheel will prevent me from driving
it for the next few days I am very happy to say another split was rescued from
obscurity and will soon hit the road after a 3 year odyssey I wouldn't wish on
anyone. Thanks to everyone who helped out!