[tcb] Re: I'm stumped - '59 won't start, stay running...

  • From: sammie smith <bugcollections@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: tcb@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 25 Oct 2011 17:54:28 -0700 (PDT)

I've gone through all of the e-mails on this problem; and it appears if you are
describing two distinctly different problems James.  The first is your
description of it not turning over; like you have a battery without enough
juice.  This problem could be a weak battery, or a faulty and/or dragging
starter, or the old "6V" problem of just not getting enough juice to kick the
solenoid.  Solution here is check your battery for full charge, assuming it has
a full charge, jump the starter which you can do by simply laying a screw
driver over the two posts which bypasses all of the ignition/starter wiring,
and if the starter still grinds and acts like doesn't want to turn the engine
over you probably have a dragging starter which may be caused by a worn starter
busching in the bell housing.  When you installed the starter did you put in a
new bushing?  Always a requirement.  A worn bushing will shortly ruin your
starter.

The second problem is:  once it is running it doesn't want to keep running, at
least correctly.  This problem sounds like a fuel starvation problem to me; and
all of the causes have already been covered in prior e-mails.

Fuel starvation, bad distributor, bad carb, etc etc have absolutely nothing to
do with the inability of the starter turning the engine over.

--- On Tue, 10/25/11, julie.hey.ho.lets.go@xxxxxxxxx

From: julie.hey.ho.lets.go@xxxxxxxxx <julie.hey.ho.lets.go@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [tcb] Re: I'm stumped - '59 won't start, stay running...
To: tcb@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Tuesday, October 25, 2011, 6:55 PM

I now know that my problem is my ignition switch and I believe I have any extra
one in my spare parts collection I carry with me but I will double check. But
mine is not worn from age just a crap replacement part that has only been on
for a year and a half.
As for bad new coils, that seems to happen a bunch.  Guys I know were befuddled
by a new engine that wouldn't work.  It was mind blowing but they exchanged the
new coil at whatever FLAPS and the third or fourth one did the trick.
On Oct 25, 2011 6:31 PM, <julie.hey.ho.lets.go@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

My mechanic didn't answer his phone but I believe it is if you take off the
wire that goes from the solenoid to the coil and turn the key to the position
where the lights come on in your dash you should hear the solenoid clicking but
double check that I am not telling you something stupid that will blow up your
Bus.  Surely someone knows what I am going on about?
On Oct 25, 2011 6:23 PM, <julie.hey.ho.lets.go@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Isn't there a way to check that the solenoid is working like take off one of
the wires and turn the key to a certain position and you should hear the
solenoid make a clicking noise if it is working. I remember my mechanic having
me check it like this. I will call him to find out better directions unless one
of you knows what I am talking about.
On Oct 25, 2011 5:47 PM, "James Dwan" <james_dwan_2000@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Update: Switched out the 009 on the '59 for the 009 on my daily driver - nada.
I have now run down the battery on the '77 so I'll switch 'em back and take off
the fuel pump and grab a beer...