[tcb] Re: I know it's about time: Dan & Kat's Trip Report - Big Bend - Dec.26-Dec.30

  • From: "Denis Dodson" <coocoo@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <tcb@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 4 Jan 2007 19:49:34 -0600

Best trip report, ever.

----- Original Message ----- From: "Katrina" <k.d.martin@xxxxxxx>
To: <tcb@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Thursday, January 04, 2007 11:35 AM
Subject: [tcb] I know it's about time: Dan & Kat's Trip Report - Big Bend - Dec.26-Dec.30

D & K's Trip Report - Big Bend - Dec.26-Dec.30

Tuesday December 26, (Amistad - http://www.nps.gov/amis/)
Dan & I rolled out of Houston at 11AM. Took I-10 to 90. It was a little cool but not too cold all the way to Amistad. We arrived at the Amistad Park office at 4:59PM. The office locked the doors after we went inside. The office lady told us where to go so we could camp that night. Dan & I left to go to the campsite called Governers Landing. There's no electricity at any of the campsites and first-come, first-serve. There were only 3 of the campsites taken(15 sites total). We figured out were Homer would be the happiest (a level spot). Great we found a spot! The sun setting on the lake was really pretty. Dan set up the propane grill and cooked up some spagetti with italian sausage. Good now it's time for dinner! We ate dinner. Smoked, got the bed ready in the bus, and watched a few National Geographic pod casts. I fed Thor, then he laid in his bed for a little while, until critters were trying to eat the rest of his dog food! Dan got out of the bus and looked around to see what was there, he saw nothing. We let Thor get into the bus and we got into bed. Then we heard something trying to get the trash can. I said,"OOOh lookey there Dan we have racoons in our campsite!" They got into the trash and ate all the leftovers. There was lots of them too, like about 15 in a pack. Dan got out of the bus to scare them off and put the lid back on the trash
can. He's my hero he got rid of the coons. Good night.

Wednesday Dec.27, (Terlingua Ranch - http://www.terlinguaranch.com/gallery.html) Got up about 7:30AM and got ready to go to Terlingua. The day was beautiful and ready for us to venture out into the great deserts of Texas. Dan got Homer out on the road with no problems at all. Taped up our doors and were ready to go! We had some cinnamon rolls for breakfast so we were really hungry around lunch time. We got to Alpine at noon and stopped by a McDonalds for lunch. After that we waited on the longest train ever to go by so we could cross the road, but no problems we just munched on our Mc Donalds cheeseburgers & fries. There's just mountains everywhere all around us,surrounding us, made me feel kinda small. So we went down the road to Terlingua Ranch, first 13 miles it's a paved road, last 3 miles it's a dirt road. Got to Terlingua Ranch at 2PM. The office was open and ready for business. I made reservations. The campsite had electric & water, only $17.00 a night. Dan & I set up camp. So,what we were gonna eat for dinner??? Well, we can just walk over to the Bad Rabbit Cafe', it's only across a little bridge and eat dinner. Open 7-11AM & 5-9PM. "Thursday is Karaoke Night", that's what the cook/waiter said. It was a very warm place, it was getting a little cold. I had 3 beef tacos, Dan had chicken fried steak, the food was good. We went back to the campsite and turned on the Mac and watched a DVD, Nacho
Libre, it was goofy,  but funny. Good night!

Thursday Dec 28 (Terlingua Ghost Town/Study Butte- http://gallery.hoyhoy.org/20040904_terlingua?page=1) Dan & I got up around 7:30AM. We were hungry so we decided to eat at the Bad Rabbit Cafe' for breakfast. Dan then said,"We should go to Presidio today,we'll go down Hwy 118 to Hwy 170." I agreed. I went into the office and asked where to get gas, she said Study Butte, it is the second store you see, they call it the Study Butte Mall. So we leave Terlingua Ranch and head towards Study Butte. All of a sudden Homer doesn't want to go up a huge mountain, 15MPH...Then we went down that mountain about 65MPH. That was a rush. Finally we made it to Study Butte Mall to get some gas and ice. Well, it was not a mall at all. It was a grocery store & gas station. But it was the only gas station around Terlingua & Study Butte. Homer then headed down Hwy 118 to Hwy 170. The road was really twisty, they went around the mountains, up and down and around. The river was pretty, it runs right along the Mexico border. (Duncan you really missed out on the best road to ride the motorcycle.) Homer made it up every mountain, going about 30MPH on some of them. Passed Terlingua Ghost Town and went about halfway to Presidio, then decided to go back to Terlingua Ranch. It was about 2PM. So we just pulled right over and had lunch on the side of the road. It was the best picnic spot in the world. Gosh I just can't tell you how breath taking the mountains were. As we drove back to the Ranch Dan kept on saying,"I hope there's going to be a good storm, I would like to see one here in the Big Bend, we've been here 3 yrs. in a row and never seen any rain." Lots of clouds were appearing from everywhere. Some mountain peaks were covered with clouds, I could hardly see them at all. Got back to the campground and cooked some dinner. Had some eggs & buffet potatoes.Yummm. After washing a few dishes Dan & I got into the bus turned on the heating blanket and watched a scray movie called,"Chaos". (Horrible scary movie-don't ever watch it) Watched some Podcasts
then went to bed. Good Night?

Friday Dec 29 (Terlingua Ranch-all day & all night)
Woke up around 8:30AM. Decided to sleep some more since it was pouring down rain. Everything outside looked wet & cold. I told Dan I could just sleep all day. Eventually we got up and ate cereal. Then decided to get back into the bus, it was cold and still raining a little. About 3PM Dan started making dinner. He made a steak on the Karbachi and heated up some buffet potatoes on the propane stove. Not much happened, just ate and went for a short walk. Good night!

Saturday Dec. 30 (Driving back home all the way down HWY 90 to Hwy I-10)
Got up at 7AM. It was really cold. Got everything all packed up, our tent was really wet. Got out on the road about 8:30AM. As we drove through the mountains we noticed there was snow on the peaks. It was so pretty. But it sure did look cold outside. Drove through Alpine and there was snow everywhere. Thor was just staring at his bed and kept on going around in circles. I told Dan maybe we should stop in Alpine to let him out so he could do his business. Well ohhh my Gosh I let Thor out and froze my buns off. Thor really didn't have to use the restroom, he was cold too I think. He just wanted to get out for a second. He got back up in the bus. It started warming up around Del Rio, but it never really got warm until we got to Houston. We got
home at 10PM, just in time to watch Madd TV. The End.

Katrina & Dan Martin
71'bus "Homer"
http://web.mac.com/danandkatrinamartin/