[tcb] Re: I am alive

  • From: James Dwan <james_dwan_2000@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: tcb@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 6 Sep 2010 07:05:11 -0700 (PDT)

Glad your getting back to normal, sorry to hear about the tube in the wienie...

--- On Sun, 9/5/10, Denis Dodson <coocoo@xxxxxxx> wrote:

From: Denis Dodson <coocoo@xxxxxxx>
Subject: [tcb] I am alive
To: tcb@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Sunday, September 5, 2010, 4:32 PM


I am home after 7 days, 6 in ICU. I have some pills and I am
toting around an oxygen hose and I have the most amazing pain. I have six
stitches over my left eyebrow that I guess I need taking out or they will fall
out on their own.  


There is a strange sheen between me and the computer monitor
and I need to really concentrate to read. I think that this is a combination of
drugs and oxygen. I am low on oxygen because it hurts to breathe, much less
deeply. I say this so that you all will know why I didn’t post anything
before this. I just couldn’t. 


OK, here is the real story, as I saw it. 


I had come home from Eureka Springs after stuffing registration
bags for the show. We ate sandwiches and I had some beers, maybe 4. I had
another when I got home. It was a beautiful evening with a nice breeze, the
temperature, just right. I got a quilt and my pillow and was soon happy asleep.
Some time before 4 AM The Hounds, Lilly and Howie, woke me up to say hello and
I got up to pee. After peeing, I turned around to pet them, or whatever, and
stepped off the deck and in to a tale of 911, blood, ambulances, ER, broken
bones, intensive care and hospital rooms. 


Many of you know that I have had a history of the city boy
moving to the mountains and getting stung on the forehead by a wasp that made
my head swell and look like a catcher’s mitt, and bitten by a Copperhead
that made my leg look like a ham. On the other calls there were 3 or 4 pickups
with good ol’ boys from the local Nob Hill Volunteer Fire Department, a
fire truck and an ambulance. There was lots of laughing but I always felt that
I was in good hands. This time there was nothing funny. 


After crawling (or dancing or doing cartwheels… I’d
be lying if I told you II remembered remember) across the yard between the lake
and the house, somehow getting up the stone staircase, in to the house, up the
kitchen staircase and in to Jan’s bedroom, where I thought , still, that
I had just taken a hard fall, and yes, I was hurting, but I have hurt myself
before and shook it offwhere  I was telling the 911 dispatcher that I
could not stay conscious, that the dogs won’t bite, that I could not get
across the kitchen to the front door and that I couldn’t breathe. In my
tunnel vision I saw a young guy with a radio get through the door,  reach
out, touch me on my head and told me that he had me now. They worked quickly,
quietly, decisively. I remember little, moving in and out of being there, but
the quality of their care was outstanding. 


As the ER people were doing whatever they were doing all
around me a doctor looked close to my face and said that I may think that I
have simply fallen down, but that he could see, just by looking that I had, at
least, four injuries that could be fatal and for me to trust them and do as I
was told. 


It was two days before they took off enough braces and
restraints to wash off some of the blood. 


I had a clip on my finger, a hose though my nose and into my
stomach, a tube up my wiener (which you CONNOT remove by yourself!), a high
pressure oxygen mask (just like Mark’s) on my face, IVs in one arm and
blood monitors and a morphine injector in the other. I had four “things”
glued to my chest and belly with wiring running in bundles like a splitty bus
wiring harness BUS CONTENT!!! 


I was not allowed even ice chips for three days. I begged
and argued and negotiated (no more blood until I get a half cup of ice) and I
always lost. When I was finally allowed SOME ice, I would smuggle it off to a
corner of my tables and ask for more and then…wait for it…..(tense
music)…when the ice almost all melted…you have to time it just
right…you could use your sippy straw to get… the most perfect and
valuable substance on Earth…a tiny swallow of…ICE WATER!!!! NEVER



OK. There it is. The first attempts to communicate. If it
rambles and/or makes no sense, well, there it is. 


Thanks big big big for all the contacts. The personal visits
were amazing, both for who showed up as well as when they showed up. The
nursing staff made comments about the volume of people and calls. They actually
brought the phone from their stations, since there was not one in my room and
they had to show me on a monitor how my oxygen intake went down when I was on
the phone. The Eureka Springs Show brought me a huge (4x6) card of a cartoon 
with lots of get wells. 


I got text messages on my phone the whole time. That was


More soon 





Other related posts: