[tcb] Re: Hey Bay peeps!

  • From: Lisa and the Stevester <stevescott@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: tcb@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 28 Feb 2012 23:17:40 -0600

To get the old cap out I always take a flat bladed screwfriver and basically hammer it into the middle of the old cap and then once its through the cap you can pry it out. Get a socket that is about the same size as the new cap and tap it in place using the socket as a drift. Tap. not pound. no glue.

Hope this helps Julie
-Steve

Julie wrote:

I am trying to replace the new Chinese CVs (one of these new ones makes a bad noise and does not let the wheel turn freely and I had a real mechanic double check my work and he couldn't make it work any better) that are on my '71 with brandy new German ones. But I found a hole in the cap that keeps the tranny fluid from leaking into the CV. I just bought another one of these caps today. I didn't think it was going to be hard to pop the holy one off and pop the new one in place but yikes! That thing must be glued in place! Is that right? Am I supposed to glue it in? If yes then what sort of glue stuff should I use? And someone told me to Lock-tite my CV bolts in place. Should I really do this? It seems impossible to keep grease out of threads and off of the bolts with a CV packed full of grease. I wouldn't think Lock-tite would work with it being greasy. And if it did work I might never get the bolts out.
Thanks,

Julie