[tcb] Re: Help! Bus won't start - electrical woes

  • From: James Dwan <james_dwan_2000@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: tcb@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 12 Mar 2008 07:10:42 -0700 (PDT)

The battery charger indicated that it only needed to draw 2 amps, usually when
I have a dead battery it starts off drawing like 6 and takes more than an hour
to get to 2. Could it be giving me a false reading on the charger? I never used
a voltmeter cause I was late for work.
The battery did go completely dead in January when my alternator died so it's
got one foot in the grave already but not sure if it's a goner yet.

sammie smith <bugcollections@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote: Dead battery with no
cranking amps.  Clean the cables and replace the battery.

James Dwan <james_dwan_2000@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:  Okay here is the situation. I
get in the Bus and turn the key, the E-brake light, oil light and battery light
come on as usual and then I turn the key to the start position and...silence.
I look down and the lights are off and I don't hear the clock anymore either.

So I look at the fuses and the coil wires and everything is good. I get back in
and see a faint glow in the E-brake light. Then slowly all the lights come back
as if someone has them on a dimmer switch and is slowly turning it up. Then I
hear the fuel pump kick on then I turn the key and...nothing then darkness.

It did this twice so I took the battery out and put it on the charger. It has a
full charge. I noticed the  ground strap on the battery looks like it could be
replaced but other than that I am stumped. I got a ride to work so I plan on
looking into it this evening with any suggestions I get from TCB It ran fine
yesterday and no hints of trouble.
Thanks in advance!

James
  DAC