[tcb] Heaters

  • From: "Gerald V. Livingston II" <gvl2@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: tcb@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 9 Oct 2006 23:47:10 -0500 (Central Standard Time)

I use a Coleman (something)Cat (BlackCat, BearCat, SportCat -- can't
remember) if I want the heat to stay on a while. In Jerome when the weather
got nipply enough to wake me up at night I just got up and turned on my
single burner (10,000+ BTU) propane stove for a few minutes. It uses a LOT
more propane because it's a direct flame but 10,000 BTU vs the 3,000 BTU
catalytic -- it doesn't have to run near as long.

The problem catalytic heaters is the fact that you need to pack your
raincoat and rubber sheets if you use them in a smal enclosed area like a
bus. You can bust your butt having the outside repainted and rustproofed
then rust it out from the inside if you use a catalytic on a regular basis.
Anything made of paper or cloth will be wet enough that you feel a need to
dry it out if you use one overnight.

I have an Eberspacher BN-4 boxed up for later but it's going to take some
fiddling with. I want room for an aux battery (or batteries) and a few
other gizmos so it may not be able to go in the stock location even though
I have a bit more room back there in my Bay.

G2