[tcb] Re: Getting silicon off metal ?

  • From: sammie smith <bugcollections@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: tcb@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 14 Jan 2009 06:04:35 -0800 (PST)

A plastic scraper and lots of elbow grease.  Bought a new GM pickup in 01.  Had
a bad water leak around the rear window.  Took it back to the dealer.  Service
manager made the decision to "caulk" around the entire rear window with clear
silicon.  When I saw it I went balistic and told them to fix it correctly.
They sent it out to an auto glass shop.  The guys at the auto glass shop worked
for a solid 2 days doing nothing but removing the silicon; then they removed
the glass and put in a new seal and fixed the window correctly.  Point, it took
those guys about 16 man hours to remove all of that silicone.

You just have to work slow and remove it with lots of work.