[tcb] Gas tank ?s

  • From: Julie <julie.hey.ho.lets.go@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: tcb@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 8 Sep 2013 11:38:40 -0500

The Bay gas tank I am putting in Sonne looks pretty good inside but by a couple
of guys with perhaps more knowledge than me, they suggested I clean it out with
muriatic acid and then I am good to go.  But I would bet my mechanic would tell
me to prep and etch it and coat it with some POR-15 fuel tank liner paint.
That's what I did for my '66 and it worked fine. But maybe that tank was in
worse shape?  I have heard horror stories about liner paint causing problems if
it peels away, so is it too risky?  The worst part of my fuel system is my
filler tube since it was taken from Sonne's old tank.  There is a rusty hue in
there even after cleaning.  Maybe I should coat just that part?

Any advice will be appreciated.

Julie