[tcb] Re: G2's Problem

  • From: sammie smith <bugcollections@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: tcb@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 23 Nov 2010 13:00:33 -0800 (PST)

The only 010 I have is on my bus and I would have to go to the garage and pull
the cap to look.  But the 019, 010, and 009 caps are different and not
interchangeable.  I am suprised that someone could even get the 010 cap to fit
on the case of the 009.  I happen to have a 009 and 019 in front of me and the
catches built into the cap are opposite.  The 009 has a male notch holder that
aligns with a female notch in the distribuor case, which properly aligns the
cap.  The 019 is the exact opposite.  The female notch is in the cap and the
male is part of the clamp bracket on one side of the case.  I can tell you that
you cannot physically interchange the caps between an 019 and an 009.  Wish I
had the 010 in front of me also to compare but I am not making 4 mile trip to
my garage to look.  But I thought the 010 was similar to the 019 and would not
fit on an 009.

We were mislead on the quandry though.  He said he had a good distributor.
Well, an 009 with an 010 cap is not a good distributor.  One of the things I do
is always have a known good complete (and that includes the cap and rotor)
distributor in my parts bin.  If you are having problems that appear to be
distributor related and they are not obvious; just pop in the known good
distributor and see if it cures the problem.  And particularly when you are
down on the road somewhere and something goes bad in the distributor (like
broken points) it's easier to pop in that spare distributor than it is to try
to diagnose and fix the problem on the side of the road.

My 2 cents.

From: mechmark@xxxxxxxxxxx <mechmark@xxxxxxxxxxx>
To: tcb@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Tuesday, November 23, 2010, 12:08 PM

#yiv730460797 #yiv730460797yiv1288838045 p {margin:0;}

Nope.