[tcb] Re: G2's NEW HOUSE

  • From: "Gerald V. Livingston II" <gvl2@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Dan Martin <danandkatrinamartin@xxxxxxx>, tcb@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 2 Feb 2006 01:12:16 -0600 (Central Standard Time)

On Wed, 1 Feb 2006 18:58:51 -0600 Dan Martin <danandkatrinamartin@xxxxxxx>
wrote:

> Gerald said:
>

> > And, I JUST GOT THE KEYS TO MY NEW HOUSE!!! WooHoo. I have to start
> > moving and planning the pole barn soon.
> >
> > I'm also currently one handed for the most part. Pinky finger and
> > outside half of ring finger are completely numb along with that entire half
> >
> > of my left hand all the way to the wrist. I've lost a lot of "grip strength"
> > because of it. No recovery estimate, might even be permanent. It's
> > annoying the hell out of me.
> >

> So how long until I can drag my "extra" bus bus over there to store
> it for free?
> I will come over, camp and help build the pole barn.
>
> Sorry to hear about your medical problem.
> Do you go to the VA?
> Could your elbow problems be service related?

Ever whack your "funny bone"? That's the nerve that controls that side of
the hand. I probably damaged it driving or leaning on my elbows on the desk
at work way too many hours/day.

The longer I go with no improvement (ie. it stays numb and is getting
weaker) the more I think I'll probably lose most of the use of my left hand
permanently.

No VA. At this point it would take too long to even get my records to prove
I was ever in the service. I'm self-employed, un-insured, and don't
generally "do" doctors anyway. I earn too much to go to a "free clinic" and
not enough to pay a "real doctor". Such is life. I'll learn to get by
without. Have You ever heard me say that I don't let ANYTHING bother me too
much. Well, this is just one of those things. A curveball that I'll figure
out some way to hit. Think I'm gonna have to build a vaccuum forming
machine to make me a hard plastic orthotic to protect those fingers though.
I'm liable to cut it or break it off and not realize it until red stuff
hits the wall. Just means I have a good reason to start figuring out how to
build a new toy.

I'm gonna try to catch the guy who built the garage and see how much/long
to put the top back on it (that's all that got damaged by Rita). I'm going
to start moving stuff out of my other house next week. Have some clean up
to do at the new one over the next few days.

Probably start laying out the pole barn in the next couple of months and
figuring up the cost. Gotta figure out where I want to set it. plenty of
room for camping. I may start a "PsychoBilly-South" in a couple of years.
Gotta get a feel for the neighbors but I think most wouldn't mind joining
the party.

I need to have as much as possible moved out of the old house by the 16th
because my aunt is coming down with a crew of family to do whatever repairs
they can with the insurance money. Still trying to figure out what to do
with the house. Can't sell it, I don't want to manage a rental (and it may
need more repairs than renting is worth). Don't want to let it sit. <sigh>

Think I'll take the cats to the pound too. The female won't handle another
move well at all and I'm tired of dealing with her "moods". She'll have to
be put down I'm sure. The male isn't one to be left alone and I don't want
to get another to replace the female. He may be adoptable. Maybe I'll put
in some goats out there. I like goats, they're outside pets that you can
eat <grin>.

G2