[tcb] Friday Contribution

  • From: Stephen Brannan <ozarkcycleworks@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: tcb@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 23 Aug 2007 20:11:48 -0700 (PDT)

http://www.yesterland.com/

  This is a sort of commentary on the over commercialization of Disney.  It
seems a bit sad to see some of my childhood memories discontinued.  I'm feeling
very nastolgic today.  During a conversation about how outdated our 4year old
computers are at work, several of us were saddened by how cheap stuff is
getting.  It made me feel good my daily driver is 15 years old and still going.
 I almost considered trading my Miata for a 60's Sunbeam Tiger that I found
wedged between a Beetle and a run down shop.  I'm still pretty young, but I
value well made stuff.  The 2000 Ford Contour and it's 5th fuel pump that we
walked away from last summer on a road trip will be long gone and forgotten,
but Busses and other classics will continue to be rebuilt over and over again.
(We were blessed by God and lots of people who helped us get home)
  The next generation of kids as a group will have lost so much.  I played in
the streets and skinned my knees growing up.  Where is the imagination now?  If
I did something stupid it was my fault and not the responsibility of some toy
manufacturer.  I do see the need for safe products, but people need to take
responsibility for their actions.
  In my garage are two table saws.  One is a few years old and borrowed.  The
plastic is cracked and partly missing.  The other is twice my age and is in
better shape because it wasn't built to be replaced with the next year's model.

  This is my rant, sorry.  Thanks for listening and caring about preserving
VW's.