[tcb] Re: Freakin' axel nut, ya nut!

  • From: "Brian Denning" <i_am_cool_fred@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: tcb@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 22 Jul 2006 19:21:02 -0500

the axle nut wasn't tight the first time and when i put the carter pin in it broke. don't know how but it did. i do, however agree with you on the whole over tightening thing. it took me, 4 cinder blocks and two bags of potting soil inside the bus for added weight and my dad using a 6ft cheater bar to break the damn thing loose in the first place. now for those of you that have doupts the shoes on the thing said made in germany and had the vw logo on them. so something tells me they were original. now granted there is some rust issues, it shouldn't take that much to break them loose.

on a lighter note, i hauled more plants and soil today in it. :D

From: "Chuck Blue" <sukchew@xxxxxxx>
To: <tcb@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [tcb] Re: Freakin' axel nut, ya nut!
Date: Sat, 22 Jul 2006 14:24:49 -0500

After hearing all of the ft.lb torque BS heres my .02.Back in the olden days before I got "smart" we used the stand on it and jump method.Yes, we did use a 3 ft.pipe as a little more leverage.I can not believe that I ever ruined a axle bearing because the axle nut was over tightened.All that is happening is that a Cast drum is being pulled against a high quality tempered steel bearing race.I would think that the drum would fail be for the bearing race would distort.I also have never had a cotter pin break if the axle has at least tight.
Would some one set me straight on this.Because I don't want to fuck up my rear axle.
ole blue
----- Original Message ----- From: "Brian Denning" <i_am_cool_fred@xxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "Denis Dodson" <coocoo@xxxxxxx>
To: <tcb@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [tcb] Freakin' axel nut, ya nut!
Date: Thu, 20 Jul 2006 22:02:59 -0500

Brian, do you have an "How to keep your VW alive"?, commonly known as "the Idiot's guide"? You keep running into problems that I know are covered in really simple terms. It's no Bentley, but I can hardly read a Bentley. That's for big brained people like Will and Mark and Gerald and Dan, well, everyone but me. It has info holes that you will still need the Big Brainers to help you with, but I built my whole engine from that book. It's written on about a 9th grade level, and that works for me.

You are learning really fast and I am sure that the Wonderful Chocolate Hershey Bar will be a great rig, but you need to read a little of the Guide in bed and on the crapper and while you eat your corn flakes. I am positive that it tells you to check for a cotter pin on the freakin' axel nut. I know that because I used a nail until I could buy a cotter pin big enough. Chuck will remember that.

Good luck. Read yer book.