[tcb] Finding TDC

  • From: treyjung@xxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: tcb@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 21 Jan 2008 17:58:47 +0000

I want to replace the original dizzy in NewDee with an SVDA (Compufire) to get
rid of the points. I know I'll have to plug up the hole in the Pict 34 on the
retard side. Timing needs to be set  at 7.5 BTDC instead of the 5 ATDC for the
SVDA/1600 Stock engine on the 71 (Engine Code AE)

My question is on my pully I only have a rear notch filed on it which I assume
is the 5 ATDC mark to time the engine so yesterday I pulled the cap off the
dizzy and used a pencil to find TDC on #1 (took the spark plug out)..... my
question is when I'd turn the pulley and lined up number 1 on the rotor, the
pencil moved out and then stayed out for about a quarter turn of the pully then
it would go back in as I moved the pulley. Is this normal? It seems TDC stays
about the same with about a quarter turn of the pulley before the pencil would
retract with the piston....

Is TDC like a guideline ...... I could have marked the pulley anyhere from 1/4
to 3/8 on it..... Is this normal or is there a better way to mark this.

Trey
71 Westy