[tcb] Re: Excuse me

  • From: "Denis Dodson" <coocoo@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <tcb@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 8 Nov 2005 22:27:16 -0600

I was in advertising for the last, maybe 15 years of my filmmaking career, and I can tell you that nothing, and I mean NOTHING is too stupid to pitch as necessary or life enhancing. We, as the working stiffs making the machinery operate to capture the visuals and sounds and to tie it all up as a shiny and colorful finished product to show to an almost defenseless public, would often be dumbstruck by it all. From unimaginably bad food products to plastiky googaws that often would not work long enough for us to film them, to services that had so many legal problems that we had to have lawyers on the set to interrupt for a quick re-write to avoid lawsuits and arrests.

I personally worked on hundreds and hundreds of thousands of dollars' worth of product that was never allowed on a TV screen. So, just look at what is there and imagine a whole world of crud not even that good.

The only real time I ever had, what we in the film business called a "job job", where you actually went to work everyday and drew a paycheck, was for Seven Eleven. They actually aren't the worst at filming commercials and training films for colossally bad ideas, but they were no slouches either. My crew and one of my directors is personally responsible for the fact that Nachos are self-serve. And one of the defining dieing gasps of a huge, multinational, multiBILLION dollar corporation (as they were collapsing and being sold to the Japanese) was the pitch to sell to the world...GRAPE FLAVORED BUTTERMILK. Which we, in an employee naming contest, deemed.....QUICK VOM!!!

aw ----- Original Message ----- From: "Bob Perring" <perring@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>